Friday, October 31, 2008

"Who is Gene Kelly?"



"Gene was among the wonders of the 20th century."-- Stanley Donen

"He could do anything... and did everything."-- Debbie Reynolds

"Gene was one of a kind. He revolutionized dancing in film...[he] was a disciplinarian and a perfectionist... I should know."-- Frank Sinatra

"Young and suave once upon a time, but then the gracefully aged and mature, Gene Kelly is the forever and timeless hero of Metro Goldwyn Meyer (MGM) Studios --one of the greatest leading men in Hollywood and one of the *BEST* there will ever be."--From PrincessMonkey.com


In my Thursday Thirteen about my family (see below), I mentioned that when my husband sings, he sounds like Gene Kelly.

One of the comments came from Ganns: "Who is Gene Kelly?

Ganns, you can be forgiven for not knowing. You're young and you live in the Phillipines.

But let me educate you. Gene Kelly was one of the greatest entertainers of Hollywood's so-called Golden Era.

He wasn't really known for his singing...singing was something all MGM musical stars did in those days while they were dancing. But I happen to love his slightly raspy voice.

My husband's voice is one of the coolest things about him. He has a natural husky/raspy thing going that--well, let's just admit it--is sexy. And I've always thought so, even when I didn't know him very well at all.

When he was in high school and the Godfather movies were just coming out, people thought he sounded a little like Marlon Brando in that famous role.

As a teen-ager, I used to love sitting up to watch what was then called the "Late Show" on TV. Often it would be one of those spectacular MGM musicals, often starring Gene Kelly. I loved them!

So when I first heard my husband sing, I realized quickly--he sounded like Gene Kelly.

So Ganns, just for you...and everybody who remembers those days fondly...I give you Gene Kelly.

10 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

Didn't he dance and sing with a cartoon, too - a mouse, I believe? One of his more famous routines!

Solameanie said...

I'm glad you posted a classic scene with Gene. More people today might think of him in Xanadu with Olivia Newton-John toward the end of his career/life.

I tended to prefer Fred Astaire. Gene was a lot more physical than Fred was, and of course there were always Fred's "duet" dances with Ginger Rogers.

Unknown said...

I love that movie! I feel sorry for those who don't know Gene Kelly!

Thanks for the posting this video. It made me smile!

Lynnette :)

Katy McKenna said...

Funny to see you post about Gene today! Doug and I just watched "An American in Paris" last night. :)

Just so you know, I fell in love with my husband's voice at first hear. Honestly. The sexiest voice in the world---then and now. I knew I would marry him right then, and as long as he keeps talking, we do fine.......

Katy

Tim said...

Ahh . . . Gene Kelly. Love his musicals and his ability. I am a fan of Gene and Fred (though I can barely do the Chicken Dance myself). My kind of movies (which I collect). I may pop one in this evening. What talent!

Mark Daniels said...

I love Gene Kelly. So does my son. Oddly enough, neither my wife or daughter are into him.

Mark Daniels

Juliet said...

He makes dancing looks so easy...and I know it has to be practice, practice, and pratice!

Thanks for the enjoyment.

Cathy said...

Thanks for that video, Cindy. I always think of Gene Kelly as a dancer. But of course I remember "Singing in the Rain, just somehow did not associate him with singing the song that much. :o)

Kim said...

It's not only the young who don't know the "greats". When I met my hubby back in college in the late 70s, he didn't know who Frank Sinatra was! He'd grown up overseas in a home without t.v. and very little radio.
But I soon educated him :-)

SmilingSally said...

I've always thought that he was the best.

Related Posts with Thumbnails