Thursday, October 02, 2008

13 Things about "I See What You're Saying"



"I'm ready for my close-up, Mr. DeMille!"

On Tuesday, I took part in a video blogging meme called "I See What You're Saying." The idea: videotape yourself for your blog, so that others can actually see you in action and thus get to know you a little better.

You can scroll down to see my video, if you like.

The meme was a lot of fun. After visiting most of the sites that took part, I came up with some observations and even learned some things. Here are 13 things about "I See What You're Saying":

1. Most of us were WAY too hard on ourselves. I can't count the number of participants who said derogatory things about themselves either in the actual video or in their related post: "Are my nostrils really that big?" "I look like a dork!" "I need to go on a diet..."

Believe me, I noticed some things about myself that I had never noticed in a mirror...but I kept them to myself. No need pointing out and thus further emphasizing it! (However, I have to say that some of the participants made their self-criticisms truly funny.)

2. Some of the participants were obvious "naturals." --Apparently, behaving comfortably, naturally and photogenically is an innate gift for some people. Like Gayle of The Westie Crew. Her video was charmingly unaffected and fun.

3. Why was I so uncomfortable on camera, given the fact that I'm used to being recorded? Linda of 2nd Cup of Coffee, who sponsored the meme, commented: "I'm surprised you felt the awkwardness that the rest of us felt because you're used to being taped, per se, right?"

Well Linda, yes, I'm used to having my VOICE recorded. I've heard the sound of my own voice more times than I could ever begin to count. But SEEING yourself on tape is a whole different animal. I felt extraordinarily self-conscious, more than I ever would working with audio.

4. I loved the wide array of accents. And the kids and pets were funny and cute additions.

5. By and large, the younger women seemed more comfortable on camera than did the older women. Could it be because they've been raised with video-cameras in a way we older women never were?

6. One of my favorite videos was this one from "His Girl," who took the problem of failed takes and made it funny and charming.

7. If there were prizes for creativity, one of them would have to go to this one from Chatty Kelly.

8. And another would have to go to this one by Sue J.

9. A frustrating aspect of this meme? Discovering a host of wonderful blogs that I will now have to check out regularly--where will I find the time?! On the flip side? It makes me happy to know there are so many wonderful people out there...restores my faith in human nature a bit.

10. Kelly's background as a TV producer no doubt helped make her video really good--enjoyable and professional, like a mini-travelogue.

11. Things I learned:--a)Pay attention to lighting...it really makes a difference. My first take was in my basement study, and--eeesh, we won't talk about it. b) A little extra make-up is probably a good idea. c)SMILE! I wish I had smiled more on my own video...and I will next time!

12. Most of the best ones were relatively short...we have short attention spans!

13. The exception to number 12? The video of the hostess herself, Linda, whose video was a tour de force! It really let us get to know this lovely and funny lady. By the way, Linda's post today is a "de-briefing" of the meme. I took a peek at it before I finished my own, and (great minds, etc) we cover some of the same points!

Anyway, thanks, Linda, for hosting such a fun bloggy event.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



9 comments:

SmilingSally said...

Before I left this comment, I checked out your video. You are WRONG!
1. You smiled plenty...and prettily!
2. Yours was just right. I really didn't like the long one(s).
3. I feel that having heard that bit of midwestern in your voice, I know you better.
4. You did not look at all nervous.
5. Follow your own #1 rule!

Solameanie said...

Loved the Gloria Swanson photo and quote.

This post makes me also think of Norma Shearer, whose films I like quite a bit -- especially "The Women" from 1939-40. Norma had a lazy eye, and she generally insisted on being photographed at an angle that masked that abnormality.

Personally, I didn't think it mattered. Norma Shearer was a strikingly beautiful actress.

Kelly said...

Hey - thanks for the shout out. I am an extravert by nature, what can I say. I loved it.

You did great and I'm glad to have visiting - and glader still I came back again.

See ya soon - well, read you soon anyway!

Diane Meyer said...

I hadn't seen your vid yet, so I'm glad I stopped by. You DO have a voice like buttah, baby!
Thanks for stopping by my blog :-)

carrie said...

thanks for coming over to visit my blog today!

I've been over here when time allows and I love your voice and style.

I agree about the self criticism; it's a really hard thing for me not to bring up, but I'm doing another one per the request of several people and I'm going to try and curb that whole putting myself down thing!

anthonynorth said...

Sounds like a good time overall.

Growin' With It said...

it has been so easy to sit behind this monitor and pour my heart out each day. leaving it out there and not always knowing people's response. but when you put your face, your body, your every little imperfection...it is hard to swallow and be okay with huh? i can see how people were hard on themselves, me included. i suppose it all goes back to who God says we are and if we believe it or not!

thursday 13...great idea. although you've seen how long i talk w/ just a 5 point meme!

i am glad i met ya cindy. and i agree w/ more time added but i also know it means more of an impact in my life from someone who loves the Lord! how cool is that?!

Anonymous said...

thanks for visiting my TT,great list but I think I feel awkward too videotaping myself,not unless webcam counts. :)

Huse Yo Mama said...

I enjoyed your video and your re-cap.

Thanks for stopping by my page. I didn't join in with the videos this time, but I'm definitely on for next time. I had surgery yesterday, so I was focused on that rather than my video.

I understand what you mean about having a slew of blogs that you now need to check on....there just isn't enough time in the day!

Related Posts with Thumbnails