|Drew and Jonathan, the charming Property Brothers|
I have to admit, I'm a big fan of home renovation shows. I just recently blogged about my addiction to Fixer Upper. I've been known to binge-watch House Hunters Renovation, Property Brothers and Love it or List It, too.
Having watched so many episodes of these shows, I've learned a thing or two. I thought I'd just share some of my observations...maybe you've noticed these things too?
Here we go...
I don't know if I'll ever be able to redo my kitchen, but if so, I'm going to be so nervous about spending a ton of money on something that will look dated in a few years.
2. Whenever I see wallpaper being added to a home, I inwardly groan. Even though some of it is truly beautiful . You would too, if you've ever had to remove any. And it's going to feel dated in no time. Please, just step away from the wallpaper!
|This is fairly close to the wallpaper border I had on the soffit in my kitchen. Cute idea in 2005, then it began to remind me of the kitchen on TV's "The Middle." It was murder to take down!|
3. Same with people who commit to surfaces in bold colors, like a massive amount of green marble I saw on one kitchen reno. You WILL get tired of that color.4. On "Love it or List It" and "Love it or List It Too," Hilary or Jillian need to tell the homeowners right off the bat, "I'm going to need at least 50-thousand dollars more than you're giving me for renovations. Because there WILL be a catastrophic problem. Termites, dry rot, asbestos, leakage, faulty wiring...you name it, there WILL be a massive problem that will threaten the entire renovation, so just fork it over right now."
5 After the Catastrophic Problem is revealed to the home owners, they will always walk away saying "I just don't trust Jillian to be able to handle this" and/or "This is why we need to move out!"
6. If I had a dollar for every time someone says "Oh my God" during the dramatic reveal, I'd have enough money to renovate my home. Even after Jillian finds the Catastrophic Problem.
7 These shows are SO formulaic! Especially Love it or List it. Show after show, it's almost like they're reading from the same script .
8. Who EVER thought popcorn ceilings were a good idea? How did that become a thing?
9. It's interesting to watch the dynamics of the married couple on the shows. You can almost always tell who is going to get their way, and who is going to concede.
10. The Property Brothers are adorable . End of story.