Monday, October 20, 2008

Fall into Flavor with the Best Banana Bars Ever


Linda at 2nd Cup of Coffee is encouraging all of us to "Fall into Flavor" by posting favorite autumn and/or "comfort recipes" on Mondays. Go here to add your link!

THE BEST BANANA BARS EVER!

These amazing bars fly off the pan like hotcakes and get tons of compliments.

Credit where credit is due: I got this at allrecipes.com, although it is exactly the recipe my friend Toni (one of the best cooks I know) has made for years. She tries to keep the ingredients on hand at all times, because she's often stuck with bananas that have ripened too much to eat.

INGREDIENTS:
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup mashed ripe bananas
1 (16 ounce) container cream cheese frosting

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 10x15 inch jellyroll pan.
In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then stir in the sour cream and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into the batter. Finally, mix in the mashed banana. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow bars to cool completely before frosting with the cream cheese frosting.

Happy Monday, everyone! If you have a moment, scroll down and look at the beautiful autumn pictures I took this weekend.

5 comments:

LeeBird3 said...

Hi Cindy,

Thanks for visiting my prayergifts blog. I just listened to your voiceover demo....would you please narrate my life! :)

Have a great week, Lee

Skoots1moM said...

thanks for sharing another way to use those "aging" bananas...it seems my bananas are getting black sooner and sooner these days.
anyway, i'll be doing this one cause we love nanners at our house!
thx for sharing it
happy boo to you!

Mocha with Linda said...

Yum! This sounds really good.

Patricia said...

Hi Cindy! Thanks for visiting my blog. I'm in the process of reading Jane Eyre again after being inspired by a blogsite called 5 Minutes for Reading. They have a Classic Book Club. After reading the members comments, I grabbed my newest copy off the bookshelf.

By the way, I'm thrilled with your recipe. I just got through making Kim's Banana Bread and had one large banana left. I've got everything to make your recipe except the frosting...but I have cream cheese in the fridge, so I'm making your bars for breakfast tomorrow. My son likes to grab and go as he leaves for school.

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

Cindy, Your pictures of Autumn are beautiful! And I am so going to try out this recipe, as well as add my link to my blog for my own entry.

Related Posts with Thumbnails