Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Great fiction? worth a million!


Getting the word out about author Mindy Starns Clark

This is Word Out Wednesday, and today I'm getting the word out about author Mindy Starns Clark.

Being a Christian radio interviewer and the fiction fanatic that I am, I sometimes get the notion that I'm aware of every terrific Christian novelist out there. Well--I'm wrong about that! One of my most recent favorites, the writing of Mindy Starns Clark was actually introduced to me by our office manager here at the radio station.

Sherry loaned me the first in the Million Dollar Mystery series, and I was well and truly hooked. Now, there is fiction, and there is fiction. There's the kind that keeps you up way past your bedtime because the pages are turning themselves automatically...and there's the kind that you plod through as if you were preparing for a test over it--not really giving two hoots about the story or the characters.



Believe me, the Million Dollar Mysteries are "way past your bedtime" books.

In the main character, private investigator Callie Webber, Clark has created a very real person. I've always liked Sue Grafton's Kinsey Milhone mysteries because we as the reader know Kinsey so well--right down to the fact that she likes egg sandwiches and junk food, she runs every day, and she only owns one dress.

We get to know Callie that well. We know she's smart,pretty, courageous and cool-headed--but we also know that she's still hurting from the death of her husband, and she's terrified of getting too close to anyone, especially any man. (Except maybe her employer, the mysterious and wealthy Tom, to whom she's powerfully drawn.)

We know that she adores her little dog Sal and gets her exercise and tension relief from paddling her canoe on the scenic Chesapeake near her home.

Mindy's mysteries ring with authenticity, making it seem as if she herself has been a private eye for years. Callie's faith is a part of who she is, and Clark makes no attempt to hide that fact.

The writing is top-notch, with nuanced characterization, beautiful description, and atmospheric detail. And the device of keeping the elusive Tom just out of Callie's reach most of the time (at least in the two books I've read so far)is one that works well--making the reader want to know just what will happen with those two.

But as with any terrific fiction, it's the story that matters the most--and the stories were riveting in both of the books I've read so far: A Penny for Your Thoughts and Don't Take Any Wooden Nickles.

I'm now in the middle of A Dime a Dozen, and I'm also excited about reading Clark's stand alone novel, Whispers of the Bayou. I'm currently trying to work out an interview with Mindy Starns Clark, and of course I'll be blogging about it!

Be a part of Word Out Wednesday...



Blog about anything that you'd like to get the word out about--a product, a book, a blog or website--whatever! Then go to the originator of Word Out Wednesday, Adventures of Wondermommy, and sign the Mr. Linky there.

5 comments:

wondermommy said...

Thanks for the great book and author review.

Melissa Stover said...

it sounds good. i'll have to check it out.

Ann-Marie said...

Wow - now THAT sounds good. Okay, okay...I think I'm going to have to check it out. Thanks for the great review, Cindy!

Naomi said...

Sounds like a great series of books Cindy. Thanks for the great review. I haven't heard of them before.

Juliet said...

At this moment I'm reading My Fall From Grace..city hall to prison walls by James J. Laski. I purchased Who are You to Judge? by Erwin Lutzer at the women conference at Morning Star. Then my secret sister gave me money to buy a book, so I purchased the 7th novel in the Mitford Series. I say all this to let you know that you have now added to my list of books to read. Thanks for the book review.

Related Posts with Thumbnails