Wednesday, January 02, 2008

So tell me about 2007...




They've sure made a Texas sports fan out of my grandson! Here he models his San Antonio Spurs jersey

I found this "Year in Review" questionnaire, and thought it would be fun to do it and pass it along to you! If you answer the questions on your own blog, let me know...if you don't have a blog, feel free to answer them in my comments section.

1. What did you do in 2007 that you'd never done before? --You're probably going to be shocked by both of these things. "You mean you never...???" Anyway, at least a couple of things: I cooked with real (fresh, raw) garlic, and I ran on a treadmill.

Let me explain. About the garlic...although I enjoy cooking, I have always taken the path of the easiest and most convenient. Which meant that I either threw garlic powder in a recipe or, very rarely, minced garlic from a jar.

However, when my mom gave me the Magic Foods for Better Blood Sugar book, I started really cooking a lot of things from scratch. And that included cutting up fresh garlic. Believe it or not, I didn't even know how to work with the garlic "cloves" at first. OK, OK, I'm ignorant!



As for the running on the treadmill...you've got to understand. I don't run. I haven't since I was a little girl. But this fall, when I found out I have Type 2 diabetes, I got really, truly serious about fitness for the first time in my life. So one day I was walking on the treadmill at TruEssence and decided to up the speed. Soon it was going fast enough that I could no longer just walk...I had to run. I was so exhilarated! I was thinking, "I'm actually running!!!"



I've done it again since then, but to be honest, I don't do it often. Yet. For one thing, while running on the treadmill I remembered one of the reasons I have not heretofore been a runner. It involves body parts that need an incredibly good foundational garment, if you know what I mean. Also, I don't use the treadmill as much as I do the elliptical, which is really my favorite. But who knows? Maybe more running will be in my future. Stranger things have happened.

2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year? --Honestly, I didn't really make any that were engraved in stone. And I'm not verbalizing any this year. I do have some goals, though. In more than one area.

3. Did anyone close to you give birth? --Yes! My daughter-in-law gave birth to my adorable grandson, Payton. My sister-in-law also had a beautiful little girl, Arden Brie, and one of my nieces-in-law had a little boy, Eli.

4. Did anyone close to you die? --Thankfully, no.

5. What countries did you visit? --None...unless you count "God's Country" (Texas.)

6. What would you like to have in 2008 that you lacked in 2007? --More self-discipline and more patience.

7. What dates from 2007 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? --January 31, 2007...the date of Payton's birth!

8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? --Getting really serious about health and fitness, maintaining a regular exercise regime over the last three and half months, and losing 17 pounds in the last quarter of the year. Hopefully this is only the beginning!

9. What was your biggest failure?--I'm sure there were many, but why dwell on them?


10. Did you suffer illness or injury? --Unfortunately, I was sick way too much. I started off the new year last year with the case of flu from h-e-double-hockey-sticks. I had strep throat in October and a horrific case of bronchitis in December from which I'm still recovering.

11. What was the best thing you bought?--Actually, my husband got it for me for Christmas 2006, but it has proven to be the gift that has kept on giving throughout the year...my digital camera! I've taken beaucoups of pictures, and it has just really been a joy.

12. Whose behavior merited celebration? --My kids have all been wonderful this year. Jonathan has excelled both at work and in his master's program; Daylyn has been an amazing young mother; Justin is doing great in his new job, and Elizabeth has had personal milestones in more than one area. I'm really proud of all of them.

13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? --A certain relative by marriage who left the marriage, hurting and grieving many people in the process, and apparently going off the deep end. This person needs prayer.

14. Where did most of your money go? --To groceries and eating out. Way too much eating out. I can't cut this out altogether, because it's one of my favorite things to do, but my husband and I are resolving to cut WAY down on it this year.

15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? --You guessed it...the birth of Payton! Also, my trips to Texas and the visits of loved ones.

16. What song will always remind you of 2007? --You know, probably "Defying Gravity" from the Wicked soundtrack. Because it will always remind me of going to see Wicked in July with my sister Lisa, my daughter Elizabeth and my niece Katie.




17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
happier or sadder? Happier, I think!

older and wiser?--definitely older...I hope wiser!

thinner or fatter?--At least 17 pounds thinner!

richer or poorer?-- Probably about the same.

18. What do you wish you'd done more of? Letting other people know about the good news that God loves them and wants a relationship with them.

19. What do you wish you'd done less of?-- Worrying.

21. What was your favorite TV program? --"Lost." Hands down. But followed by American Idol and The Biggest Loser, and Heroes, which I started watching on DVD.

22. What was the best book you read?--That's hard to say, because I read some terrific ones.

But I have to say the best Christian fiction book I read, the one that kept me the most riveted, was Deception, by Randy Alcorn.

The most "fun" book I read was Let Them Eat Cake, by Sandra Byrd.

The most intriguing Christian books I read were Auralia's Colors by Jeffrey Overstreet and The Restorer by Sharon Hinck.

The most intriguing secular book I read was The Keep, by Jennifer Egan. I can't give it my Good Housekeeping Seal of Approval, but boy, what a riveting book.

24. What was your favorite film of this year?--OK, I apparently watched hardly any movies during the past year...or if I did, I thought them unremarkable. I guess I would have to say "Music and Lyrics" and "3:10 to Yuma." Oh, and in spite of the sometimes amateurishness of the acting, "Facing the Giants." I would like to say "Amazing Grace," but amazingly, I haven't gotten around to watching it yet!

25. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2007? Classic lines, flattering colors, and comfort.

26. What kept you sane?
Knowing that God is sovereign and in control of everything; my husband's calm strength when I'm freaking out; my mom's reassuring love and support; and being able to talk everything over with my sisters.

27. What political issue stirred you the most?--The upcoming presidential election.

5 comments:

Randy Spradlin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Randy Spradlin said...

Don't feel bad Cindy. When I was a member of the gym, there were many guys that started on the treadmill that needed that "foundational" garment too! If you catch my drift.

I'm proud you're sticking to it. The benefits will be worth it.

Randy

Randy Spradlin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann-Marie said...

Happy New Year, Cindy! I'm sorry I haven't been around lately...went off the grid in Dcember and am just now resurfacing!

I love your blog and am looking forward to spending a good portion of the New Year reading it!

Cindy Swanson said...

Thanks, Ann-Marie! By the way, Randy pointed out to me that I numbered these questions wrong. I edited a few of them out, including one about "one-night stands." :) Obviously I didn't fix the numbering!

Related Posts with Thumbnails