Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Denzel Most Popular



"I read the Bible every day. I'm in my second pass-through now, in the Book of John... It's better the second time around."


For the second year in a row, Denzel Washington has been voted America's favorite movie star. In this year's Harris Poll, Tom Hanks is number two, also for the second straight year. Johnny Depp has jumped from seventh place to third, while Julia Roberts and Will Smith are in fourth and fifth place.

And apparently you don't even have to be alive to be one of America's favorite movie stars. John Wayne is sixth on the list.

Matt Damon and Sean Connery are tied for seventh, while Sandra Bullock and Bruce Willis round out the list.

About Denzel...


Few stars are as downright likable and appealing as Denzel Washington. He has proven his acting ability by playing bad characters, but he seems to have an innate graciousness.

Washington is also a believer, and in a December 2007 interview with Reader's Digest, he said he reads the Bible every day: "I'm in my second pass-through now, in the Book of John. My pastor told me to start with the New Testament, so I did, maybe two years ago. Worked my way through it, then through the Old Testament. Now I'm back in the New Testament. It's better the second time around."

This article talks more about Denzel's faith...and does briefly raise the question of how a believer can appear in movies that do contain graphic violence, nudity and profanity.

Washington is currently appearing in the movie The Great Debaters.

12 comments:

Kim said...

Thanks for leaving the link to the article. I was told this about Washington a while back, but did not know much about it.

Randy Spradlin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Randy Spradlin said...

Cin,

Denzel is very good. However, since this is all subjective, I didn't get the deal on John Wayne.
Personally, I voted John as the "worst" actor in American Cinema ever. But, we all have our favorites. I don't get the connection with a guy who was mechanical in speech and movement to be voted number six. Again, jmho.

Thanks for the list.

Randy

Anonymous said...

Cindy, it was a thrill to read about Denzel's faith. He has long been my favorite actor, and it's great to see Who is behind his gifts!

Juliet said...

I have always enjoyed Denzel in the different roles he has played.
I didn't know that he was a believer. Thanks again for the info.

Ashley said...

I really like Denzel Washington. I saw where he was ranked 2nd among the most influential Christians in Hollywood, only behind Mel Gibson. Others on that list were Patricia Heaton, Tyler Perry, and Martin Sheen. Did you link to that article, or did I find it somewhere else...? It was fairly recent, say within the last 2 or 3 weeks. If I come across it (and it wasn't from your blog), I'll let you know.

Katy McKenna said...

I don't always love the movies Denzel appears in (John Q? Not my fave...) but I absolutely love him. Thanks for featuring him here!

Melanie said...

I thought he was kind of liberal..but obviously I pegged him wrong!! Thanks for the article...interesting. Like katy said..not wild about John Q..but have enjoyed a few of his other movies.

Dane Bramage said...

Denzel is very likable and I think he can project that through his roles. I am glad he professes Christ but again I wonder about the damage he is doing when he takes roles like American Gangster. He talks about accountability and he himself said "There are consequences".

Jan Parrish said...

I knew there was something I liked about him. I can see the peace.

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

Den-zel.

Julie said...

I love Denzel. I watched him one time on Oprah and was just really impressed with him.

Thanks for the link.

Blessings,
Julie

Related Posts with Thumbnails