Thursday, January 24, 2008

Scottish and cute...what's not to love?



Today is the birthday of poet Robert Burns...and scroll down for my Fit Friday report...and I'm blogging today at the Internet Cafe

Scottish poet Robert Burns was born on this day in 1759, in Alloway, Ayrshire, Scotland.

Why do I care? Well, I must admit I don't have an excessive fondness for Burns' poetry, which is mostly written in a sometimes unintelligible Scots dialect. Here's a sample, from the poem "To a Mouse":


Wee, sleekit, cow'rin', tim'rous beastie,
O what a panic's in thy breastie !
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle !
I wad be laith to rin an' chase thee
Wi' murd'ring pattle !


(By the way, that's the poem that contains the famous lines: "The best laid schemes o' mice an' men /Gang aft a-gley..."

So why am I fascinated with Robert Burns? Well, for a couple of reasons--firstly, I have an affinity for all things Scottish and have longed to visit Scotland for years.

And, here's a confession: I've had a little crush on Robert Burns ever since I first saw his picture when I was a teenager. There are not that many likenesses of Burns, but in every one of them, he looks remarkably handsome. Can't you just imagine a Scottish accent coming out of that face? Gerard Butler, you've got nothing on Robbie! :)

It's pretty amazing that Burns' birthday continues to be celebrated around the world--even right where I live, in Northern Illinois--with "Burns suppers." This from Wikipedia:


The format of Burns suppers has not changed since Robert's death in 1796. The basic format starts with a general welcome and announcements followed with the Selkirk Grace. Just post the grace comes the piping and cutting of the Haggis, where Robert's famous Address To a Haggis is read, and the haggis is cut open. The event usually allows for people to start eating just after the haggis is presented. This is when the reading called the 'immortal memory', an overview of Robert's life and work is given; the event usually concludes with the singing of Auld Lang Syne.


And now...




Fit Friday!




Help!!! I've somehow injured myself.

This has been a good week, exercise-wise. I've been to the gym three times, and I had planned to go back today, but I'm wondering if I should. Ever since I started using the rowing machine, I've had a problem with discomfort in my left leg. It's weird...it almost feels like it's off kilter or something. I can't describe it. I've been working out despite the discomfort, and actually it doesn't really hurt WHEN I'm using it...whether on the elliptical or on the rower.

However, last night it was hurting so much, I had a really hard time getting to sleep. I took some ibuprofen, but it took a long time for it to take effect.

I need advice from those of you who are knowledgeable about exercise-related pains. Should I stay off of it for a couple of days, or continue to work out despite the discomfort? Should I see doctor or chiropractor, or will the discomfort go away on its own? I'm really at a loss...and pretty discouraged because exercise is SO necessary to me as a diabetic.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

To participate in "Fit Friday," go to A Spacious Place

And I'm posting here today:



Won't you join me there?

9 comments:

Ashley said...

Is the discomfort in your muscle or your joint? If it's in the muscle, I'd say wait a few days. If it's in the joint, see your doctor about it.

Or is it more like a pain that shoots down your leg? That could be a pinched nerve, which takes a few days or so to ease up.

Regardless, take the weekend to relax it a bit and see how you're feeling Monday. BUT I'm no doctor...

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Cindy Swanson said...

Ashley, thanks! I'm thinking it could be a pinched nerve, but I'm no doctor either!

A Dusty Frame said...

Well to combine both of your topics--if I had to eat haggis, I'd be VERY fit...

Solameanie said...

When I tell people what a haggis is, you should see their faces. Quite the "ewww" factor.

I didn't know they had Burns suppers locally. I just thought they had burned suppers.

Norma said...

Don't self diagnose or ask for help over the internet. See your doctor! This happened to my daughter and it was a DVT. That's probably not your problem, but she thought hers was a pulled muscle.

Naomi said...

IT's nice to hear that others around the world that celebrate/remember Burns Night, I'm an Aussie living in the Scottish Highlands, and the locals are very fond of Good Old Robbie Burns.
Hope you leg heals quickly and without any trouble.
Naomi

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I did comment on your IC post. I think you should take it easy for a couple of days, and Ibuprofen helps with inflammation. You don't want to injure so badly that you are forced "down" for a long period of time. And Burnsie? Well, I'm a former English major, but I still don't see the hunkiness that you do. Love the language, though. Why Scotland? I've always had a thing for France until recent years. Love the accent, too.

Talk..to..Grams said...

Hi Cindy, I have a nice award for you the Excellent Blog award! Love, Grams

Ann-Marie said...

Feel better, Cindy. No pain...well, I'd just say no pain is it's own reward, but... I'm glad at least someone's exercising (I'm sure not!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails