Wednesday, May 30, 2007

The emptiness of atheism


Good for 21-year-old Amber Heard. She's figured out, at an early age...actually a few years ago, at 16...that there is no God, and that she (Amber) is all she needs.

The article about Amber caught my eye in today's USA Today. Apparently, the actress has more than a beautiful face and figure going for her--she also has an intelligent mind. (Although signing up to star in the latest teen soap, "Hidden Palms," may not have been the smartest choice--it's being seriously panned by critics already.)

According to the article, Amber became an atheist at 16 when her best friend was killed in a car crash. Admittedly, a tragic occurrence that could even shake the faith of the strongest Christian.

Subsequently, Amber's first serious boyfriend introduced her to the writings of Ayn Rand, the noted Russian-American novelist and atheistic philosopher. Says the formerly Catholic actress, "I've read all her books...I have been obsessed with her ideals. All I've ever needed is myself." (My emphasis.)

So at 21, Amber has arrived at the conviction that all she needs is herself.

At more than twice her age, I marvel at that. As I look back on years of living--years of disappointment, tragedy, trials and loss (amid the joy and happiness, of course)--I can't imagine having lived through any of it with only myself to turn to, trust in, hope in, believe in, cling to. I simply can't imagine such emptiness.

Not knowing much about Ayn Rand, I looked her up on Wikipedia.org. One of things Rand admitted to was "a loathing of Christianity."

I found this quote telling:

"My philosophy, in essence, is the concept of man as a heroic being, with his own happiness as the moral purpose of his life, with productive achievement as his noblest activity, and reason as his only absolute."


It's appalling to look around and see how Christianity is so despised today. Sadly, much of the fault lies with Christians themselves. If we were truly living out Christ and His Word in our lives, if we were really spreading His love around, the hatred against us might not be so vehement.

Yet there will always be those who despise God and everything He stands for, because they don't want a moral absolute in their lives. They want to be free to live as they please, even if that living is immoral or evil.

All I can say is that if the day ever comes when Amber Heard find that she isn't enough for herself, I hope she knows where to look.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails