Wednesday, August 09, 2006

A fabulous family reunion



In the photo: the grandchildren of Tommy and Imogene Garrett, minus a few

Back from Texas! And what a wonderful visit it was, and what an awesome family reunion.

The older I get, the more I yearn to reach out and draw closer to my family members. The Garrett Family Reunion was such a fulfillment of that yearning. I was amazed at how much I have in common with my cousins and their families. There really is a strong bond among people who share the same blood lines.

One of the most common traits appears to be musical talent. We had a talent show in which the cousins and cousins' kids showed off their vocal, piano and guitar skills, and it was wonderful. Several times I found myself wiping away tears. The sense of family, and the resemblance of several of my cousins to loved ones who have gone on before, often tugged at my emotions.

We ate together. We sang together. We shopped together. We worshipped together. We even took part in a Garrett Family Trivia Quiz that prompted lots of laughter.

My dear, sweet Aunt Jean was the only representative of the original five Garrett siblings of which my dad was the third. Aunt Billie, who lives in Tennessee, couldn't make it. The other three--my dad Pepper, Uncle Malcolm and Aunt Sandra have all gone one to be with the Lord.

Aunt Sandra passed away recently with a suddenness that left us all in shock. She had been one of the major movers behind the Family Reunion, and one of its biggest supporters. She had so looked forward to it.

However, the family reunion she is experiencing is no doubt more incredibly amazing that we can even begin to imagine.

Sadly, Uncle Malcolm's three kids didn't show up for the reunion, and my brother who is in Iraq just missed it.

Other Texas notes....

Yes indeed, it was HOT. Over 100 some days. I did spend some time in my son's pool.

I got to spend some quality time with my mom, my sister and her family, my brother's family, and my son and daughter-in-law.

I had incredible Tex Mex food at Chuy's and Pappasito's. And no visit to Round Rock, Texas, would be complete without Round Rock Donuts! Oh my goodness.

Anyway...it's good to be back...I think. :)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails