Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The easiest, most delicious banana pudding ever



While visiting Texas, I was blessed enough to be at Faith Baptist Church in Round Rock for a classic, traditional Baptist potluck--yep, a "dinner on the grounds."
You haven't lived until you've tasted the things that good Baptist women can cook up!

I was busy sampling the tasty morsels that crowded my heaping plate, when I noticed that the dessert I had been eying was quickly getting eaten up. I had seen the banana pudding while going through the line, but thought I would come back for it later.

Well, my cousin Tommy (the Family Reunion was still going strong) sent his son David to the line to get us generous bowls of the pudding. It was so delicious, I truly thought I was blowing any semblance of healthy eating. But when I got the recipe from Pam Pike, I found out that the banana pudding really isn't that sinful...and you can even make it low-fat and it's STILL delicious.

I've made it twice with the low-fat ingredients, and it's amazing. My grown kids who live with me, and are always trying to lose weight, give it a hearty thumbs-up. So, without further ado, here it is:

Pam Pike's Easy and Delicious Banana Pudding

3 cups cold milk--use skim milk to cut fat and calories

2 boxes banana cream pudding-- or use sugar-free, fat-free banana cream pudding

1 to 1-and-a-half boxes Nilla Vanilla Wafers, depending on how much cookie you like in your pudding--set aside about a half box to crush for top of pudding--I used reduced-fat Nilla wafers

4 good-sized bananas, sliced

2 cartons Cool Whip--I used Lite Cool Whip

Whisk the pudding with the 3 cups milk; set aside. Slice 4 bananas and fold into pudding mixture. Fold in 1 carton Cool Whip and vanilla wafers. Smooth another carton of Cool Whip on top; top with crushed vanilla wafers. Refrigerate overnight to give cookies time to soften.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails