Monday, January 17, 2005

Liz and I had such an awesome weekend...

Doug was out of town, so it was Chick Time to the max! On Friday, thanks to deep freeze temperastures, we cocooned...and watched not one, but two movies.


Gerard Butler

I had picked up Timeline for 5.96 at Wal-Mart, and we really enjoyed that one. Honestly, I don't even remember when this movie was at the theaters, and I have a hunch it didn't get very good reviews, but that didn't stop us enjoying it.

Admittedly, one of the chief attractions for us was that one of the stars is Gerard Butler, , who plays the Phantom in The Phantom of the Opera movie.

Not only is Butler very attractive, he is also Scottish, and I could listen to a Scottish or Irish accent all day long. Based on a Michael Crichton book, the story is implausible but fun and interesting...good escapist entertainment for a chilly evening.

Later that evening, we broke out the microwave popcorn for a movie neither of us had ever seen--West Side Story. My co-host, Darren Marlar, had loaned me the DVD ages ago, and I kept forgetting to watch it. With Doug gone (he would have hated it), this was the perfect time.



Natalie Wood is lovely and some of the songs are great and have rightfully become classics ("I Feel Pretty," "Somewhere," "Tonight"). And I was prepared for the sad ending, knowing that the play was based on Shakespeare's "Romeo and Juliet."

Liz asked me if Hispanic people were upset that Natalie Wood was chosen to play Maria, and not a Latina actress. I'm sure Wood was chosen because she was a box-office draw, and nothing against her, but it certainly would have been more authentic if a Hispanic actress was playing the part.

Anyway, I enjoyed watching it with my daughter as part of a cozy Chick Night.

On Saturday, we went to lunch at Applebee's and then hit the mall. Fun!

Pulling the Plug on the Internet?

"Instead of making life easier — the essential promise of technologies since the steam engine — the home PC of late has made some users feel stupid, endangered or just hassled beyond reason."

That from an article, via Steve Beard, about a trend toward getting rid of home internet.

Interesting. In fact, Beard's blog, "Thunderstruck," which I just recently discovered, is pretty cool. Sort of like the Matt Drudge of pop culture from a Christian perspective. Check it out.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails