Monday, October 04, 2004

Monday, Monday...can't trust that day...



Joy says she didn't get her weekend to-do list done; well, neither did I, because we went with friends and family to Galena on Saturday.

It turned out to be a nice enough day, but I had had misgivings about going because Saturday is the day I usually sleep in (after a week of rising at 4 AM) and then get laundry, housecleaning and shopping done and a leisurely pace.

Galena is quaint and charming, and teeming with shops full of lovely things. Lovely, high-priced things. (I didn't buy one single thing, except for a pop and a piece of really good fudge at a candy store.)

We did have a nice meal at a restaurant there, but there was one thing about it that annoyed me, even though I had already ordered water to drink. There were NO FREE REFILLS on the soft drinks. Now, I simply do NOT understand why a restaurant would charge for refills in this day and age. It seems to me that if a restaurant charges you for refills--especially when they serve the drinks in really small glasses!--they might as well just come out and say: "We are trying to rip you off." Just don't get it.

Oh well. Galena was fun; if you've never gone, I definitely recommend it, despite my Monday-morning grouchiness. :)

One thing I really like about it: it's one of the only places in Illinois that isn't absolutely flat--actually has hills high enough to ski on--not that I ski, but I do love hilly terrain. Actually, I love mountains, but there's nothing anything close to a mountain around here.

Liking my son's blog...


OK, I'm a bit biased because I gave birth to him, but I think my son Jonathan's blog is really good. I do enjoy his humor and his sense of the absurd. Yesterday he blogged about reasons to look forward to 2005, and I must say, I identify with several of those.

Didn't do Monday Madness today...

I guess I just wasn't in the mood. Besides, you're supposed to use the letters of the word AUTUMN to tell what you like about your favorite season. Autumn doesn't happen to be my favorite season (gasp!), although there are many things I love about it...and it seemed pointless to list the things I like about summer using the letters of the word autumn...

And you youngsters out there may be wondering about who those people are in the pic at the top of the page. If you know, and if you can guess why I put their picture there, say so in my comments section or e-mail me. :)

2 comments:

Jeri said...

The Mamas and the Papas came out with that great song, "Monday Monday". (Not quite as god as "All the Leaves are Brown" but still good enough.

Every other day, every other day,
Every other day of the week is fine, yeah
But whenever Monday comes, but whenever Monday comes
You can find me cryin' all of the time....

Cindy Swanson said...

Yep, Jeri...the good ol' Mamas and Papas. Ashley, who blogs as "My Peace of Mind," e-mailed me with the answer but couldn't get in to post a comment here. Every time I hear their cool harmonies, I miss my sister Bev, who was a teen-ager when they first became popular.

Related Posts with Thumbnails