Friday, October 08, 2004

Happy Bloggiversary to Me!



Yep, hard to believe, but Sunday, October 10th, marks the first anniversary of this blog.

Then, as now, I was just coming out of the radio station's Sharathon (this year's just wrapped up yesterday.) This is the very first thing I posted:

"Well...hello.

I guess this is my introduction to the world of blogging....a modern technological wonder that appears to be tailor-made for people like me, who can't seem to stop putting their thoughts on paper (or cyber-paper, as the case may be!)

I think this is going to be fun!"

And it has been. As I predicted, blogging proved to be a perfect fit for a person like me, who can't resist the compulsion to put our thoughts in writing. I've picked up a solid little bunch of fairly faithful readers, "met" some wonderful people, and discovered some awesome writers through their blogs.

I was racking my brain trying to remember exactly what prompted me to start my own blog. My friend Don Elbourne had suggested it to me about a year earlier, but I knew so little about blogging, I opted instead to seek his help in designing my own website, which he did with skill and grace.

But I think it was author Jeri Massi's blog that really prompted me to start my blogging journey. Jeri's blog is much different than mine--she's much more brainy, gutsy and controversial--but it was checking out the details of how her blog was presented that made me think I could have my own. One trip to Blogger and I quickly realized that even a computer moron like me could start and maintain a blog with relative ease.

As I look back on the year that has passed, I'm struck with an unexpected but obvious benefit of keeping an online diary. I now have a written record of the past year of my life. I blogged about most of it, good and bad.

From the Cubs barely missing the World Series, to my son's wedding, to my father's worsening illness and death, with a ton of discoveries of new book and music delights, annoyances and opinions thrown in for good measure, it's all there.

Yep, I enjoy blogging. So I guess I'll stick around a while.

And yes, hallelujah, it's FRIDAY!



And here are my answers to today's Friday Feast. Come on, don't be a spoilsport...answer them, in my comments section or on your own blog.

Appetizer
What are your plans for the upcoming weekend?--To putter around the house, spend some quality time with my husband and daughter, go to church, and RELAX AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE!

Soup
Who was the last person you talked to on the telephone?--Hmm...well, if you don't count listeners who called Darren Marlar and me this morning, the answer would be Dwayne Barker of Barker Studios, the guy who is my sound engineer for a lot of the voice-over work that I do.

Salad
Name a hobby that you've tried but eventually gave up for some reason.--Cross stitching. I was quite the cross-stitcher when I was pregnant with Elizabeth. I became fairly addicted to it. Somehow, though, I just lost interest.

Main Course
What is the most important personality quality in a mate?--Patience.

Dessert
Why is the sky blue (be creative with your answer)?--CREATIVE???? You're asking me to be creative when my brain is fried from three days of Sharathon? "God made it that way." That's as good as you're going to get. :)

And now, a personal pet peeve...

OK, maybe you think they clutter up the landscape during campaign season, but that's now excuse for people to steal and vandalize campaign yard signs.

It's your right to stick a sign in your yard proclaiming who you're going to vote for, even if I don't agree.

We got calls this morning from people whose Bush/Cheney signs have been uprooted, mangled, stolen, and/or taped over with Kerry/Edwards bumper stickers.

No matter what candidate you support, this just horks me off! I wish there was some kind of booby trap that would give a big electric shock to anyone who tried to do that. These are the same kind of jerks who steal Baby Jesus out of manger scenes. Get a life, people.

3 comments:

Jeri said...

Happy Bloggoversary!

Has nobody told you the custom of blog-birthdays? You have to send cake to all your blogging buddies. I like chocolate, thank you. And none of that chocolate-orange or chocolate raspberry nonsense please! Just chocolate.

Oddly enough, when I review my own blog I skip over the gutsy controversial stuff and enjoy the everyday things that I have blogged, especially the things I no longer do (like tech writing at a construction site around cyanide cannisters and massive lyophilizers).

Jeri (waiting for my cake)

joydriven said...

congratulations, cindy. =)
it's a funny feeling, isn't it. you know there are places you can get to sort of chapbook-publish your blog's contents for you so, if you're like me, you can pretend you were faithful keeping SOME sort of journal since all your paper journals have only a few sheets filled. i need to do that. maybe i can even insert my blog into the covers of some of those forlorn journals.
and jeri -- i am going to invent a fax machine that can handle desserts.

Rodney Olsen said...

Congratulations on your first 12 months of blogging.

I've certainly enjoyed reading what you have to say and feeling as if I have a small part in your world from all the way across the planet here in Australia.

Thanks for sharing your life with us.

(PS: My blog will hit one year on the 3rd of November.)

Related Posts with Thumbnails