Monday, January 09, 2012

Why Do You Read?



I rarely copy someone else's post in its entirety, but I'm almost going to do that right now...because this post so perfectly sums up all the reasons why I read.  Why I love to read, actually.

Carol of Magistra Mater starts out her post talking about how she's a schizophrenic reader.  Then she starts enumerating the reasons she reads--and lo and behold, Carol and I are kindred spirits:


I read because I like to read.
I read to learn facts. What does the third verse of In the Garden mean?
I read to be entertained. Tell me a story!
I read as a way to love others. Nothing like a kid on a lap with a book...
I read to show love to others. You like Dick Francis? Then I will read him, too.
I read to fulfill obligations. Carol, please read this and let me know what you think.
I read some titles because one is supposed to read them.
I read some titles to say I have read them. Shameless of me to admit it, but true.
I read so I won't be left behind. The buzz about Unbroken is one instance.
I read to nourish my soul.
I read because I'm bored.
I read because I'm tired.
I read some books to get them off my shelf. I could just remove them, but I want to read them!
I read because someone I admire recommended the book.
I read because someone I've never heard of recommended the book.
I read to escape unlovely tasks. A habit begun long ago when I had homework.
I read difficult books because they often reward the effort.  Vigorous reading gives me endorphins.
I read to quench my curiosity.
I read to kindle curiosity.




Go here to read the entire post, or just to browse the blog and enjoy Carol's thoughtful, intelligent book reviews.

And now to ask, as Carol did, why do YOU read?


2 comments:

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I love this, Cindy! I read because I cannot learn enough, know enough, understand enough, and enjoy enough without it! As a high school educator, I am grieved that young people today do not enjoy reading! They like to text and soundbite...but not read. It is a tragedy of the younger generation.

Corey P. said...

I love to read...

- because I want to learn
- because I enjoy a good yarn
- because I want to improve my own writing
- because there's nothing like a book for company

Related Posts with Thumbnails