Friday, January 13, 2012

Stuffed Cabbage Casserole: A Smashing Pinterest Success!


One of the great things about Pinterest is the plethora of amazing recipes available. But although I have a "Food and Recipes" board chockfull of recipes I plan to try, I've actually gotten around to making just two of them.

Last night's Pinterest recipe endeavor was a SMASHING success. I made Kalyn's Stuffed Cabbage Casserole from Skinnytaste.com, a wonderful site that blogger Gina bills as "delicious low fat recipes from my family to yours."

As soon as I discovered this site on Pinterest, I immediately "followed" it and put the link on my sidebar.

2012 is the year of eating healthy for me and my husband. Recipes that fill his grown-man stomach but stick to our healthy mantra are, as my son would say, "money"!

Not only was this casserole delicious and filling, but judging by my blood sugar check this morning, it's very good for Type 2 diabetics as well.

Of course, you'll only like this recipe if you like cabbage...fortunately both my husband and I love it!

There is brown rice in the recipe, but some commenters at Skinnytaste say they substituted quinoa with excellent results. Others fiddled with the spices or made it with spicier or Italian-seasoned tomatoes or tomato sauce. There's lots of room for improvisation.

Some commenters also saved some valuable prep time by using bagged cole slaw, but I liked having the cabbage pieces a little bigger.

(The only way I had to modify it was that I couldn't find Sweet Hungarian Paprika at my local grocer, so had to use just regular paprika.)

Anyway, two thumbs up from both me and my hubby!

I'm linking up today to Company Girl Coffee, hosted by Home Sanctuary--click on the icon!

8 comments:

helen tilston said...

The recipe looks delicious. Thanks, I shall try it
Helen xx

Diane said...

It *looks* yummy, but count me among the cabbage haters (rather it hates me, if that's not TMI!). But yes, there are too many great recipes and too little time to cook! So wonderful that this helps control blood sugar levels. Healthy can be tasty and fun!

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I love cabbage and it is loaded with calcium...so i will try this! Thanks, Cindy!

Katharine said...

Yum! This looks amazing, I need to pin this and try it! I'm always looking for new recipes. Thanks for posting...Have a great weekend!

HDMac said...

It does sound very very good! Will have to look it up. I just LOVE pinterest! What a fabulous way to organize our websites! Why didn't I think of it!!!! lol Have a blessed day!

Yolanda said...

I have added you on pinterest and will follow you here. You and I have a lot in common especially our love of books so glad to have found your blog.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh how I love Pinterest! You can find almost anything there! CINDY DEAREST, HOW LOVELY TO SEE YOU!!!!!! Je t'embrasse fort, Anita

One More Equals Four said...

Hmmm, interesting. Looks pretty good but I'm not positive I could convince my non cabbage loving clan, worth a shot, though. I am definitely going to have to check out that website! Hope you had a great weekend!

Related Posts with Thumbnails