Thursday, June 12, 2008

The Top 13 TV Dads (according to TiVo)

You can see the entire list of 25 Top TV Dads here.


1. Bill Cosby, The Bill Cosby Show--I can understand this. Bill was just about the perfect dad on that show--loving but firm, and very funny.
2. Andy Griffth, The Andy Griffith Show--Again, great choice. Another one of the TV dads who was loving, caring and wise.
3. Michael Landon, Little House on the Prairie--Amazingly, I never really got into this show, but I did like the wholesomeness it portrayed, and undoubtedly Michael Landon was a great dad on the show.

4. Tom Bosley, Happy Days--I forsook this show long before it "jumped the shark," but Bosley was a great dad for Richie and Joanie. (Funny, Ron Howard got two of the best TV dads on the list!)

5. Hugh Beaumont, Leave it To Beaver--Just like his wife June, Hugh Beaumont's Ward Cleaver has become almost a caricature of a perfect dad. He was a good one, for sure.


6. Robert Young, Father Knows Best--I honestly don't think I've seen anything more than brief clips of this show. I really liked Young in later years when he starred on "Marcus Welby, MD."



7. Robert Reed, The Brady Bunch.--Loved the show...I would've given a lot to look like Marcia Brady! I also liked Reed as the dad.




8. Tim Allen, Home Improvement.--This was one of those shows that I never intentionally watched, but always thought it was pretty funny when I would stumble on it.



9. Stephen Collins, Seventh Heaven--Never seen it. However, my daughter really liked it at one time.



10. Bob Saget, Full House--Great show, and I always thought Saget was really funny. I hear he's pretty potty-mouthed as a standup comic, though.


11. Ray Romano, Everybody Loves Raymond--Calling Ray a great TV dad puzzles me a bit, because (correct me if I'm wrong), not much of the show centered around his kids. In fact, I couldn't find a publicity shot about the show that included the kids. Funny guy, though!

12. Conrad Bain, Diff'rent Strokes--He portrayed a good dad, but too bad the actors who played his TV kids went on to have such troubled lives.

13. Jim Belushi, According to Jim--I've only seen this one a few times, so I can't comment much...but I'm glad Belushi has had more success with his life and career than did his late brother John.

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



2 comments:

Unknown said...

These were all great shows, but I think my fav Dad is Al Bundy lol
Happy T13!

Ann-Marie said...

I bought a book for $1 that originally retailed for $20 about Everybody Loves Raymond. It was a large book with glossy, high-quality paper, so VERY nice.

I'm not a huge fan of the show. I love my mom and loved my mom-in-law, so I couldn't identify very much.

Anyway, in the book, they made a special point to say the show wasn't about the kids or Ray's ability as a father. It was all about the relationships with the grown-ups. In fact, they debated ever even showing the kids. So, I totally agree (and think they would, too) that he doesn’t really belong on this list.

A lot of words to say…I agree with you!

Related Posts with Thumbnails