Thursday, June 26, 2008

13 things I loved in the 70's



My high school and college years took place in the 70's, as did my courtship and marriage. Bear in mind, I led a pretty sheltered life, and the things I enjoyed were pretty much all wholesome and family-friendly. Here are 13 of them, in no particular order.

1. Charlie's Angels--especially Farrah. I don't know of very many women my age who didn't want to look like her in those days! Every other girl did their hair in a Farrah flip-back, including me.

2. Saturday Night Live--Featuring the original Not Ready for Prime Time Players, it was a new style of humor, and it cracked us up! Who didn't toss the phrase "I'm a wild and craaazy guy!" around at least once or twice?

3. Andrae Crouch and the Disciples--I still love many of the songs from his "Best Of" project. Below, "Soon and Very Soon."

Soon and Very Soon - Andrae Crouch and The Disciples

4. The Midnight Special--the 70's precursor to music television

5. The Stylistics, the Spinners, the Chi-Lites, and all the other great R and B acts

6. Evie--for those who loved Christian music, she was an icon--and so cute! If this 1976 doesn't take you back, I don't know what will:



7. Victoria Holt novels--I think I read everything she wrote under that pseudonym, as well as all of her novels as Phillipa Carr and some of her Jean Plaidy novels

8. Rocky--I still think the first one was the best

9. Star Wars--we were so blown away by the special effects! :)

10. The Carol Burnett Show--her show--along with the next two on this list--were Saturday night "must see TV" of the 70's

11. The Mary Tyler Moore Show

12. The Bob Newhart Show

13. The Fonz--looking at the very mature Henry Winkler today, it's hard to believe, but I actually had kind of a crush on him!

Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



16 comments:

Denise Patrick said...

Oh, WOW!! What a blast from the past. Except for Evie (sorry, I've never heard of her), I remember ALL of this stuff. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.

Happy TT!

Jen said...

Evie--haven't thought about her in years, but we owned all her records! It was the first "fun" Christian music we were allowed to listen to.

Great list, thanks!

Unknown said...

I remember a lot of these! I have to check out of your your audiobook reviews.

Hubby has a giveaway at this blog. All ya gotta do is share your memories from the 80s. Head over to www.valtool.blogspot.com

Hope you will visit us both!

Bubba said...

Some good stuff there! SNL, and I LOVED the Bob Newhart show, although I think his humour is a bit dry for some.

Happy TT...and God bless!

Lindsay said...

I'm sad to say that I didn't actually live in the 70s, but I do love some SNL. I much prefer Old School SNL to what's current. It has gone WAAAAY downhill.

Thanks for stopping by!

Cindy Swanson said...

Lindsay, I agree with you! (And, it makes me feel REALLY old that you weren't even born in the 70's...but I guess I shouldn't be surprised...all of my children were 80's babies.)

Kay Day said...

I remember all that stuff, but I wasn't supposed to watch SNL, or read those romances. I was just a kid.

I still think Farah's hair is gorgeous!

Joyce said...

Hi, Cindy,

Thank you for stopping by my T13 to hear about my darling grandson's visit. :) I just received a call from my son-in-law that they arrived safely back in Vermont.

Commenting on your T13: One of my daughters is such a fan of Victoria Holt; I believe she has read everything the lady has written, too.

Numbers 10, 11, 12: Yes! I love the ultimate funny lady, Carol Burnett.

See you next Thursday!

Cindy Swanson said...

I agree, Kay...even today, even though her face isn't what it used to be, her hair is still pretty.

Ann-Marie said...

Not to make you feel old, Cindy, but I discovered the first season of SNL when I was in my teens and Gilda Radner was my favorite! I loved her! Even today I have a quote from her on my fridge. I am also a HUGE MTM fan (I own seasons 1-4) and my mom and I still crack up to Carol Burnett (we have the Showstoppers DVD). Favorite quote: "I saw it in the window, and I just had to have it" - The dress scence spoof from "Went with the Wind."

LingoVise Says... said...

Fabulous list... It puts me in the mood for bell bottoms, butterfly collars and Dr. Pepper! Cool :)

Valerie Roberson said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog :)
I love this list! The '70's was actually before my time, but like any child of the '90's I was obsessed with the era, and wore plenty of bellbottoms while rockin out to Sonny and Cher! And we still say "We're just two wild and crazy guys" around my house :)
Great post!

Julie said...

Great list! The 70's were the BEST :)

PJ said...

Wow! Did that list bring back memories. At one point I taught the children "Come on, Ring those Bells" (as sung by Evie) as a different Christmas Carol -- "different" for about 15 years in a row!!! LOL

Juliet said...

As always..enjoyed your post. I too am a great reader of Victoria Holt. Thanks for her other names that she wrote under. Will check them out at the Rockton Library.

Enjoyed the video. You do so much with your blog. Things that I don't even know how to do.

Thanks for all the time you put into it.

Jane said...

What memories you have evoked! I loved the Mary Tyler Moore show and the Bob Newhart Show and I also read Victoria Holt! We have some things in common!

Related Posts with Thumbnails