Thursday, June 19, 2008

13 Famous Movie Quotes


This was the subject of our Fun Poll on the Marlar in the Morning show on 101QFL today, and I thought it would make a good Thursday Thirteen. Here are some favorites (some of mine, some of other peoples') in no particular order...


--"What we do in life echoes in eternity." "Gladiator," 2000.

-- "You're gonna need a bigger boat." "Jaws," 1975.

-- "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer." "The Godfather Part II," 1974.

-- "Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac ... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!" "Caddyshack," 1980.

--"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary." "Dead Poets Society," 1989.

--"Every man dies, not every man really lives."--"Braveheart," 1995.

--"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."--"The Princess Bride," 1987

--"I'm your huckleberry."--"Tombstone," 1993.

--"Round up the usual suspects." --and--

--"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."--"Casablanca," 1942

--"Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."--"Ferris Bueller's Day Off," 1986

--"I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure."--"Chariots of Fire," 1981

--"Although my memory's fading, I remember two things very clearly. I'm a great sinner and Christ is a great Savior." "Amazing Grace," 2006

What are your favorites?


Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!


The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!



6 comments:

Chelle Y. said...

I love the quote from "Amazing Grace" (I do not know it exactly) when he tells his friend, "I did not choose God, I think He chose me?"

One of my favorites is when Tom Hanks says, "There's no crying in baseball!" in the movie "A League of Their Own."

Kay Day said...

I love quotes, too.
That one from Amazing Grace gets me every time. Beautiful.

Ann-Marie said...

"Let me tell you something, Toula. The man is the head, but the woman is the neck. And she can turn the head any way she wants." - My Big Fat Greek Wedding

pussreboots said...

Most of my favorite quotes are from the Fifth Element but they sound pretty goofy out of context. Happy TT.

Randy Spradlin said...

Cindy,

Totally cool! "I'm your huckleberry" has to be my favorite line of all time! Val Kilmer was perfect as Doc. However, in the spiritual rhelm, John Newton's comments will live for eternity.

This just came to mind, but I love "Raising Arizona." Hi (Nicolas Cage) walks into the police station to see Ed (Holly Hunter) to propose. As he walks in he says, "Ed, I'm walking in here on my knees to ya!" You gotta understand the Coen brothers humor I guess. But, then again, I'm a Monty Python fan too!

Randy

CANDICE said...

Lovet the quotes. My favorite quote comes from Cast Away. It was when he got of the Island and he is talking to his friend at the end of the movie. It's kind of a long one. But It always stuck with me. I think this quote was what the whole movie was about. Life's twist and turns.....Here it is..."We both had done the math. Kelly added it all up and... knew she had to let me go. I added it up, and knew that I had... lost her. 'cos I was never gonna get off that island. I was gonna die there, totally alone. I was gonna get sick, or get injured or something. The only choice I had, the only thing I could control was when, and how, and where it was going to happen. So... I made a rope and I went up to the summit, to hang myself. I had to test it, you know? Of course. You know me. And the weight of the log, snapped the limb of the tree, so I-I - , I couldn't even kill myself the way I wanted to. I had power over *nothing*. And that's when this feeling came over me like a warm blanket. I knew, somehow, that I had to stay alive. Somehow. I had to keep breathing. Even though there was no reason to hope. And all my logic said that I would never see this place again. So that's what I did. I stayed alive. I kept breathing. And one day my logic was proven all wrong because the tide came in, and gave me a sail. And now, here I am. I'm back. In Memphis, talking to you. I have ice in my glass... And I've lost her all over again. I'm so sad that I don't have Kelly. But I'm so grateful that she was with me on that island. And I know what I have to do now. I gotta keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

Related Posts with Thumbnails