Friday, August 11, 2006

Dealing with those air travel restrictions


...and other thoughts floating through my brain today, plus "Cindy Swanson, CyberSnoop"

I flew from Austin, Texas to Chicago's O'Hare airport Tuesday. I had no carry-on luggage, but I did have a bag containing a bottle of water (for some reason I get a little panicky if I don't have water on hand), a small bottle of contact solution, and some hand lotion. My purse contained liquid makeup (Estee Lauder Double Wear, 34.00 a pop!), lipsticks and cream blush, among other nonliquid items.

I was also toting a cup of Coke on ice from Schlotsky's.

Had I traveled two days later, I couldn't have taken any of those things on board, thanks to the plans of terrorists that were, thank God, foiled by British authorities.

I fly at least a couple of times a year, sometimes more. I know that's not nearly as often as my friend Teri...she works for Microsoft and flies almost every week on business.

If the restrictions continue indefinitely, those of us who fly at all will have to live with some real inconvenience. I usually fall asleep in flight, and when I wake up, contact lenses have to be refreshed. Usually someone is picking me up who hasn't seen me in a while; I don't want to look like a haggard mess, so while we're descending I'm touching up my make-up. Fairly impossible with the current restrictions...unless pencil lipliner is OK? Still...

I realize these restrictions are for our own good, and believe me, I'm grateful for security measures aimed at keeping me alive. I'm not whining. I'm just trying to get my head around what someone referred to as a "new paradigm" when it comes to flying.

Still thinking about Texas...

One of my favorite things about visiting Texas is the Cherry Limeade from Sonic. Is there any beverage more refreshing? Alas, the nearest Sonic is 158 miles away, in Champaign, Illinois. Why no Sonic in Rockford? Come on!!!

Cindy Swanson, CyberSnoop: Can you really remove a tick with liquid soap?

Find out here:

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails