Wednesday, October 03, 2007

WayBack Wednesday

What I was blogging about a year ago



Left: Lisa, Beverly and me, 2002

A brief blogging break...

Today is a busy day for me, as I prepare to fly out of Chicago for a visit to Texas to see all my loved ones there--including my adorable, beautiful and wonderful grandson, Payton! As always when I fly, even a quick prayer for traveling mercies would be deeply appreciated.

My visit means I probably won't be blogging while I'm gone, so I should be back (Lord willing and if the creek don't rise), on Tuesday, October 10th...which, incidentally, is my 4th blogging anniversary!

Anyway, what follows is what I was blogging about a year ago today--on October 3, 2006.

Such devoted sisters

The relationship of sisters is the subject of an article in today's USA Today. It grabbed my attention immediately, because I adore my two sisters and can't imagine life without them.

Montreal family therapist Vikki Stark "has spent three years doing interviews or surveys with 400 women, teens and girls with sisters."

The result? A new book titled My Sister, My Self: Understanding the Sibling Relationship That Shapes Our Lives, Our Loves and Ourselves .

Says Stark: "The relationship is very important to women. It cuts very deeply to a women's identity." She says she has often been struck by the intensity of the sisterly bond.

I totally relate. My sisters know me on a level that no one else does. Our bond goes back so far, and is so powerful, it is one of the most wonderful constants in my life.

Of course, we've had disagreements and all-out fights. But in the end, the sisterly bond is not broken. My sisters are truly my best friends.

Stark says some of the women in the interviews expressed how "blessed" they felt. "They feel it was a gift to be given a sister who brings so much joy and pleasure to their lives."

Amen. And I have two!

How about you? Are you close to our sister or sisters? I'd love to hear your comments.

Listen to Tilly Cryar very charmingly sing "Sisters."--originally posted 10/3/06

5 comments:

Talk..to..Grams said...

Have a wonderful trip and a safe one too!! Will remember you in prayer.... you are blessed with a wonderful family! Love and hugs, Grams

Ashley said...

I have 3 sisters and we're at varying stages of closeness:

My youngest sister (10 years younger) has always confided in me and asked me for advice.

My middle sister (8 years younger) always knew how to push my buttons growing up, but we're pretty close now.

I've only known my older half-sister (5 years older) for about 8 years now. I really resisted getting to know her in the beginning, but she really helped me out a lot when my two sons were born. We don't communicate as frequently as my other two sisters and I do, but our talks are good and meaningful. Now I wish we had grown up together.

Desia said...

I have one sister, but we see each other very seldom, not by choice - we live in different countries, on different continents, in different hemispheres, but talk and email weekly. Both of us started blogging recently, to help keep each other and other family member updated as to what we are up to. Now I just have to convince my husband’s 3 sisters to start blogging, and my side’s 2 sister-in-laws too. Enjoy your break!

Anonymous said...

I only met my sister about 3 years ago. She's 16 years older than I. But I feel like I've known her my entire life. We had an instant connection. We've managed to make up for a lot of lost time.

Have a safe trip.

Carol said...

I have a sister in Austin now, too! We are very close. Talk on the phone daily. Time to give her a call, actually.

Related Posts with Thumbnails