Finding out several weeks ago that I have Type 2 diabetes was a nasty surprise. However, I've decided to accept the challenge to lower my blood sugar by doing everything at my disposal to make that happen. Here are 13 things I am making a part of my life.
1) I exercise at least 30 minutes every day but Sunday. (I either do the elliptical or treadmill along with some weight training at TruEssence, or walk or ride the stationary bike at home.)
2) I take 2 tsps of apple cider vinegar twice a day.
3) I put cinnamon in my coffee, cereal, pudding and baked apples.
4) I try to have about two tablespoons of ground flax seed a day.
5) I divide my dinner plate three ways: meat and a carb on the top half of my plate, veggies on the bottom half, and I focus on eating smaller portions
6) I eat whole grain cereal, bread and pasta.
7) I eat brown rice instead of white.
8) I snack on things like apples with natural peanut butter.
9) I have blueberry tea every day.
10) My most decadent dessert is fat-free sugar-free pudding, topped with sugar-free Cool Whip.
11) I often use blue agave nectar instead of artificial sweeteners.
12) I make berry smoothies with yogurt and flax.
13) I've completely given up pop, sugared or diet, and drink only water, herbal tea, or a mixture of brewed green tea and sugar-free powdered drink.
Actually, there are other changes. I'm trying to make them an ingrained part of my life. And you know what? I don't feel like I'm suffering at all. I feel better than I have in a long time...more energetic and healthier...and everything I eat tastes delicious. If you're diabetic or just trying to eat healthier, please feel free to leave me any tips that are working for you, in my comments section.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants