Tuesday, October 23, 2007

"Let Them Eat Cake"--a delicious treat for fiction lovers


My interview with author Sandra Byrd

Since part of my job is interviewing authors, a lot of books pass my desk. Many of them are enjoyable reads; some just fail to spark my interest. But occasionally, there's the real winner: a book that I simply can't put down. Those are my favorite books to review or talk to the author. Let Them Eat Cake by Sandra Byrd is just such a book.

So I was delighted to interview Sandra Byrd for my radio show yesterday. Let Them Eat Cake is the story of Alexandra "Lexi" Stuart, a 20-something who is having trouble getting her career bearings in a post-college world. When yet another job falls through, this Francophile decides to follow her heart and work for a much smaller paycheck in a French bakery.

I blogged earlier about the book:

I liked Let Them Eat Cake by Sandra Byrd so much, I scarfed in down almost as fast as I would a piece of my mom's legendary brownie chocolate cake.

While I've enjoyed some Christian "chick lit" lately, some of it can veer into the self-consciously cute and trying a little too hard to be funny zone. Not this book. Sandra Byrd's humor is wryly amusing instead of broadly slapstick, her protagonist's interaction with God believable instead of goofy.


However, in this sound clip from our interview, Sandra tells me that Let Them Eat Cake doesn't neatly fall into the chick lit genre anyway.



In this sound clip, Sandra talks about her intent to create "holistic" characters:



I'm happy to report that Let Them Eat Cake is the first in a trilogy called "French Twist." After you read the first book, you'll be hungry for more!

1 comment:

Naomi said...

Sounds like an interesting book Cindy. I haven't heard of that one.

Related Posts with Thumbnails