Wednesday, October 24, 2007

The Biggest Loser just keeps getting better



OK, I'm hooked on this show. In a season in which I hardly ever watch TV...and I mean that...this is the one show that I won't miss. (Prime time sit-coms' almost ludicrous preoccupation with sex have made TV almost un-watchable for me, but that's a whole 'nother "Oprah.")

I'm sure it has a lot to do with the fact that my daughter and I are both in the midst of one of the strongest weight-loss and healthy lifestyle commitments we've ever made, but The Biggest Loser has become a source of both entertainment and inspiration for us.

I think you would've had to watch it from the first episode of the season. I have, and now I'm totally invested in several of the cast members. I root for them when the scale is kind, and cringe when it's cruel. (Because if you've ever tried to lose weight--especially in a setting in which you have to get on that scale on a regular basis and face the music--you know just how cruel that scale can be.)

Last night, one of the cast members threw a major monkey-wrench into the "game" just as I had forgotten that it really is a game...a competition in which the person who is eventually crowned "The Biggest Loser" wins thousands of dollars and all the attendant fame, endorsements, etc, that a huge weight loss could bring.

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the cast members respond to Neal's gambit. But to be honest, the competition is not what I like most about the show. I find the weight loss to be the most interesting and inspiring factor. To see the changes in a person, week after week...it's just cool.

By the way, I really like Allison Sweeney as the host. Despite her status as a diva on "Days of Our Lives," she comes across as personable, empathetic and down-to-earth.

And kudos to whoever allowed the guys to keep their shirts on, and the gals to keep their midriffs covered at last night's weigh-in. I don't know if that's a permanent change, but it's a good one. Making them flaunt all that excess flesh was just cruel.

...and a lifelong dream of mine...

...could be at least a tiny bit closer to coming true.

8 comments:

Randy Spradlin said...

Cindy,
Allison Sweeney is the host of "The Biggest Loser?" My goodness. I could not 'stand' her character on "DOOL." I thought she'd be long gone. I quit watching that soap years ago out of personal conviction. But, then again the actors portray a character and can be nice in real life.

You're right. I'm like you. I seldom watch any TV. I'm not kidding. It's become, for the most part, intolerable for me. All the innuendos, dialogue that offends the senses, ad infinitum. "Lost" is about the only show I watch. Yes, Cindy, major withdrawal symptoms there, haha!

I hope your dream comes true. I know your love of the Irish Celtic land and music. May you go first class my friend! I've been fortunate to visit many places. However, I'm of British and German descent, I've made it to Germany but haven't made it to the "Big Ben!" (Maybe that's why I love British humor!)

Be well my friend,

Randy

Ann-Marie said...

Cindy,
I'm right there with you in the weight loss zone. I'm also being accountable to my Mom, and it helps to have someone "in it" with you.

I tried watch TBL, but I found it hit too close to home, and I just couldn't. I'm so glad you like it, though! Plus, it's nice to know other people (the majority of "other" people, actually) have the same problem I do!

Thanks for being a voice of encouragement!

Cindy Swanson said...

Randy and Ann-Marie, you guys are both encouragements to me! Thanks for your comments.

Becky said...

I am glad to hear that you are hanging in there with the lifestyle changes and that THE BIGGEST LOSER is an inspiration. It is awfully hard to face the scale. It seems to me that sometimes, even when you have been trying, it takes a while for the numbers to catch up!

I don't watch TBL, but I have been reading blogs in which people chronicle their weight-loss struggles. I think that takes a LOT of honesty.

Barb said...

This is the first season I've watched from the very beginning, Cindy, and like you, I'm hooked on it. I literally hold my breath at the weigh-in. I'm especially rooting for Haylee this time. She's been through so much, losing her mother during the competition, and seems like a genuinely nice gal.

I forget it's a competition, too. I get so caught up in their progress.

I wanted to tell you, if you'd like the genuine recipe for authentic Italian tagliatelle, I have all the recipes I've ever posted listed in my sidebar now. Tagliatelle is a big favorite in my family and I love that it's meatless. It's nice to have a good dinner without meat occasionally. I serve it with garlic bread and a tossed green salad and it's a really nice dinner. I've never yet come across anyone who didn't think it was delicious.

You'll have to let me know what you think if you make it. I don't think it's diet food, but an occasional pasta dinner surely can't hurt that much. :-)

Ashley said...

I've never watched The Biggest Loser, but my husband caught some of it one evening. He was struck by the fact that it's more of a competition, like other reality shows, and wondered how the participants who've been disqualified (or whatever term they use) have held up after the show. Do most of them continue losing weight, or do they go back to living the way they were before?

I just posted pics of two pizzas I've made recently. I know they're heart-healthy, but I don't know all the ins and outs of eating with diabetes. If you'd like, I can share the recipes with you.

BTW, I'm loving Lost! Thanks for encouraging me to get hooked. And it only took a few minutes into the first episode! I want to go back and read some of your old Lost posts soon. I might even write one of my own...

Thanks!

Cindy Swanson said...

Ashley, they do an update on each elimiated player, and so far each of them have ended up losing a lot more after going home!

I'm glad you like "Lost." It is, hands down, my favorite TV show.

Melissa said...

Cindy-
I love this show too! I was so dissapointed when Neil didn't get voted off. But, I guess that makes for an interested episode this week, huh?

BTW, I love all the links you give us. As a stay at home mom, I sometimes feel a little "out of it" when it comes to what's happening in the world. Thanks for all of those tibits!

Related Posts with Thumbnails