Monday, November 15, 2004

Those stuffy Christians are spoiling all our fun!

After the first rush of satisfaction after learning that "morals and values" played a key role in the presidential election, I am now sensing a backlash.

We thought that good things would come out of this discovery, and for the first several days, I was hearing some good things. News media, political parties and even Hollywood seemed to be saying: "They want morals and values? OK, obviously we've been ignoring a sizable part of America. We will now endeavor to be sensitive to that part of the population."

Now I'm getting the feeling that these same prevailing cultural outlets are taking it a bit too far...on purpose?

OK, maybe I'm a bit paranoid. But maybe not, when I read quotes like Garrison Keillor's (albeit tongue-in-cheek) announcement that his new project is to take away born-again Christians' right to vote.

And take the airing of Saving Private Ryan. Network affiliates backing out of airing this movie because they fear offending the sensibilities of those who voted morals and values? Oh, what party-pooping spoilsports those morals-and-values people are!

There's Bill Maher talking about how the world would be more "sane" without religion, and basically spewing hate towards Christians. (Granted, Maher's comments came pre-election, but I'd venture to say the election has only intensified the sentiments.)

Then you've got the CNN special, The Fight over Faith. I saw only bits and pieces of it, and no, I don't closely identify with every Christian depicted...but why do I get the feeling that the general theme is, "Beware of Christians! They're out to ruin everything!"

Am I the only one who worries that the now medium-voiced cry of "Those stuffy Christians are spoiling all our fun!" could well develop into an angry roar at some point? Am I the only one who is seeing shades of Hitler's Germany in which the disdain of Jews turned murderously fanatic?

Am I the only one who thinks the prevailing view these days is that it's unacceptable to be intolerant of anyone EXCEPT Christians? That the only acceptable hate speech is hate against Christians?

I know the Bible never promised us that we would be loved by world...in fact, just the opposite. "Marvel not, my brethren, if the world hate you."--I John 3:13.

But you know those liberal Democrats who are so aghast, wondering, "What happened to the country I know and love? I don't recognize it..."

Well, I don't recognize a country where it's OK to despise me because I'm a Christian.

It's been happening for some time now. I should be getting used to it, but I guess I'm not.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails