Monday, November 15, 2004

I read "Great Expectations" over the weekend....



"Mrs. Joe was a very clean housekeeper, but had an exquisite art of making her cleanliness more uncomfortable and unacceptable than dirt itself."--from Great Expectations

Yes, I had read the book before, but it was many years ago. Elizabeth brought it home from school recently, thinking about reading it for a book report. I picked it up, and that was it.

Classics are classics for a reason. They stand the test of time. I've never been that big of a Charles Dickens fan, but I could see why he is one of the greats. Intriguing story, vividly drawn characters, and a sense of humor...great book. The fact that it was written in the 18-hundreds doesn't diminish its appeal.

As always when I read a great book or see a great movie, my interest was stirred up and I had to do some Dickens research. I found this great Dickens website, chockful of everything you could possibly want to know about the man and his writings. Cool.

I leave you with another great quote from Great Expectations:

"Heaven knows we need never be ashamed of our tears, for they are rain upon the blinding dust of earth, overlying our hard hearts."--Charles Dickens

Garrison Keillor doesn't think I should be voting...

Again I have to give credit to Robin Lee Hatcher, this time for this quote from Garrison Keillor.

Scary, perhaps more because of the audience reaction than even for the remark.





No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails