Thursday, August 08, 2013

Thursday Favorite Things: I love big fat magazines

No, this isn't a real magazine, but isn't it funny?
Ah, yes.  It's that time of year when magazines like Vogue and InStyle trot out their biggest issue of the year--the much-anticipated and revered September issue.

These are the issues that are roughly the size of the Sears Roebuck catalogues of my childhood.  And I love 'em!

My love affair with magazines


via


My love affair with magazines actually began when I was a little girl and my parents were missionaries in Beirut, Lebanon.

My mom subscribed to several children's magazines for us, including Jack & Jill, Calling All Girls (later titled Young Miss and then YM), and a small Christian magazine I loved called Young Pilot.

When we returned to the states in 1967, I was just about to enter puberty, and was already beginning an avid interest in fashion and beauty (although I looked a mess.  The junior high years were NOT kind to me!)

Seventeen magazine was 50 cents then, and I remember cleaning the kitchen for my newly-married sister in exchange for a copy of the magazine!

I think at one point my mom even let me subscribe to Ingenue, and I bought Teen  Magazine with whatever pocket money I could earn or plead for.

via


I still love magazines, but....

What is it about fashion magazines that I love so much?

Some may complain that they're mostly ads, but that's one of the main things I love about them?  I look at every ad.  I love the slick pages with the gorgeous ladies and handsome men, and sometimes I don't even notice what product they're touting.

Here's the deal, though.  For a person on a budget, magazines aren't a terrific investment.

They're expensive.  And honestly, after I read whatever articles I want to read, I'm pretty much done with them.  Then you have the problem of whether to store them, try to give them away or junk them.

Not only that, but you can get most of the info online.

So I try to avoid the temptation at the grocery store register to buy another magazine.

I content myself with a subscription to InStyle Magazine.  Not only do I get the glossy ads, but there are fashions I would actually wear (as opposed to the high-fashion couture which is often more than slightly bizarre), and the magazine remains politically neutral--a trait I value.

There are even practical articles about skin care, hair, decorating tips and recipes.

And you can bet I'm looking forward to that September issue, which should be arriving any day now.  The bigger and fatter, the better!

P.S. Note that both these vintage magazine covers feature the beautiful Colleen Corby.  She was a top print model during my childhood.

Join me for Thursday Favorite Things, hosted by Katherine's Corner!



Thursday Favorite Things

6 comments:

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

I love magazines, I love newspapers, and I love books...I want all of them to survive this online craze. I truly think it is sad to see hard copies die...I am a sucker for fashion and home magazines. I hope they will always be around.

Diane said...

As much as I adore magazines (particularly my American Patchwork & Quilting and Cook's Illustrated subscriptions), I hate storing them. I've picked up a couple of Kindle edition subscriptions, and love the fact that I can bookmark things and find them in a hurry - especially helpful for the recipes in Diabetic Living (awesome quarterly mag).

There is still the lure of the slick paper, though...

A Happy Havanese said...

Cindy,
I totally agree. I am a magazine addict for sure and I have a really hard time resisting them at the check out counter lol. I think I got the love from my grandmother who had them on her coffee table and I would look at them over and over. I too love the sleek look and the smell of the pages; let's not forget them!
Have an awesome day
Sandra
The Adored Home

Kera @ Nugget On A Budget said...

I absolutely love big fat fashion magazines, too. I don't have any subscriptions right now as I'm in my "parenting and trying to keep an organized house" phases with them lol. But I do look through my sister's InStyle all the time...and just may need to pick up the September issue at the store this year, too!

Treat and Trick said...

I love reading those magazines but unable to do so due to my tight schedules. Thanks for your lovely comment. Hope you'll give my recipe a try soon..

Katherines Corner said...

me too my friend I have oodles!!!! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. xo

Related Posts with Thumbnails