Thursday, April 19, 2012

In praise of the clothesline

Source: google.com via Cindy on Pinterest


Today is National Hanging Out Day, billed as "a day to save energy by using a clothesline."

A site called LaundryList.org lists the top 10 reasons for line-drying...but you know what? They don't have to convince me!

It's been years since I've had a clothesline, but I loved using it. Nothing can beat the fragrance of clean clothes that have been dried under the sunshine in a billowing breeze.

I also loved the fact that I was saving money by hanging out my clothes. Of course, in northern Illinois, you can't hang clothes out all year long...and fluffy towels from the dryer are great too.

But I wish I had the option to hang clothes outside, and now I'm thinking of trying to figure out a way to do it.



"Barefoot and Pregnant," #7, by Sara Rose
Source: google.com via Cindy on Pinterest




This is my niece Julie's header picture on her blog--her family's jeans all in a row




Just thinking about clotheslines brings back a lot of memories. I can remember hanging clothes out for my mother...or rushing to bring in the clothes before the rain started in earnest.

I can remember slipping into bed on a summer evening between freshly laundered and line-dried sheets.



Line drying is perfect for delicate things like this




Source: google.com via Cindy on Pinterest




Source: google.com via Cindy on Pinterest




Do you use a clothesline? What do you like about it? Do you have memories of growing up with a clothesline? Let me know in my comments section!

9 comments:

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

WHAT A GREAT IDEA and post, CIndy!

Dearest, THANK YOU for visiting me and I would have come out sooner but my internet service was DOWN! THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND WORDS and I wish you many blessings for a wonderful spring!!! Anita

Suze said...

I live in Queensland, Australia and we rarely use a dryer. Even is wet weather I dry under cover. In the hottest weather I use the under cover line as the sun bleaches clothing in less than hour. Almost everyone does that here. I do love it when I use the dryer as the towels are softer and the ironing can be lessened. So that is a rare treat.

Cindy Swanson said...

Suze, thanks so much for commenting! That is so interesting. I had to look up "under cover drying" to find out that it just means a line that is in a garage or on a balcony.

I guess I do that a lot in my own bathroom...that's where I hang delicates that can't be put in the dryer.

I would imagine the fact that the sun bleaches clothing so quickly would be great for white things!

Kay Day said...

I love clothes lines! I don't have one now, but we had one about 5 years ago. I used it sometimes, not always. My husband doesn't appreciate line dried clothes.

I grew up with one but we also had a dryer. My best memories are of my grandma's clothesline. Recently I drove by what used to be their house and the same clothes line is still there. It only has one arm, like an upside-down L.
We used to hang quilts from it to make a tent and spend the hot summer afternoons in there.

Reformed Grits said...

Cindy, when my husband and I were in Scotland, we found loads of people there had what they called "pulleys." They were indoor clothes lines/racks that were lowered to hang clothes on and then raised, yes, via pulley to the ceiling to dry and be out of the way. One of the girls in our group bought the "bits" to have one made and her handy husband put hers in her laundry room. Here's a link to a picture of the parts being sold on ebay that I found: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6-LATH-INDOOR-CLOTHES-AIRER-PULLEY-WOODEN-VINTAGE-DRYER-/310295355471
I wish I could have found a picture of one in use but I thought you'd find it interesting.
And on another note, we always line-dried growing up, but my husband has horrific allergies so we can't do it. :-(

JudyK said...

Cindy, for years and years we didn't have a dryer and mom had to FORCE me to hang out clothes. I remember though, Grandma Imogene came to visit one time and was helping me take the clothes off the line and she was commenting on our fresh they smelled, as if it were some kind of luxury. Anyway, I think it helped me to feel more appreciative of clothes line drying, but I don't think it helped my mother to get me to hang clothes without "attitude"! Needless to say, I paid for that attitude - especially with one of my children!

Jackie said...

Hey Cindy! I just stumbled upon your blog and lov it and following along now!

Oh and National Clothesline Day...I just don't know how I missed that! : ))

Blessings!
Jackie

Suze said...

Oh I forgot to add that I try to dry clothes on hangers too. It cuts down on ironing.

a joyful nusiance said...

Thanks for the shout out! I love my clothes line. I have been limited in using it this year bc of the allergies this spring. It is hard on Jeremy and Nathan.

The clotheslines is so much quicker and it is just FUN!! I love seeing the clothes blowing in the wind.

Love this post. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails