Thursday, October 28, 2010

Thursday Thirteen Flashback: 13 Great Movie Quotes

via

Casting about for something to blog about today, I thought I'd resort to one of my lazy, um, I mean, fun postings of something out of the archives of Notes in the Key of Life.

I decided on re-posting one of my Thursday Thirteen lists. Thursday Thirteen was a meme I used to take part in, a few years back.

Before posting, I thought I'd better check up and find out if Thursday Thirteen is still around. And guess what? It is.

So, although I can't promise I'll participate every week (it can be kind of hard to come up with a list of 13 anything, after a while), I'll definitely be participating today.

Oh, and one of the quotes justifies my visual ode to Russell Crowe above. :)

***********

This was the subject of our Fun Poll on the Marlar in the Morning show 101QFL a while back, and I thought it would make a good Thursday Thirteen. Here are some favorites (some of mine, some of other peoples') in no particular order...


--"What we do in life echoes in eternity." "Gladiator," 2000.

-- "You're gonna need a bigger boat." "Jaws," 1975.

-- "Keep your friends close, but your enemies closer." "The Godfather Part II," 1974.


Al Pacino in The Godfather


-- "Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac ... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!" "Caddyshack," 1980.

--"Carpe diem. Seize the day, boys. Make your lives extraordinary." "Dead Poets Society," 1989.

--"Every man dies, not every man really lives."--"Braveheart," 1995.

--"Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."--"The Princess Bride," 1987

--"I'm your huckleberry."--"Tombstone," 1993.

Kurt Russell and Val Kilmer in Tombstone


--"Round up the usual suspects." --and--

--"Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship."--"Casablanca," 1942




--"Life goes by pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it."--"Ferris Bueller's Day Off," 1986

--"I believe God made me for a purpose, but he also made me fast. And when I run I feel His pleasure."--"Chariots of Fire," 1981

--"Although my memory's fading, I remember two things very clearly. I'm a great sinner and Christ is a great Savior." "Amazing Grace," 2006

What are your favorites?


Participate in the Thursday 13

12 comments:

Sherry said...

Insanity runs in my family. It practically gallops. ~Arsenic and Old Lace

To lose one parent, Mr. Worthing, may be regarded as a misfortune. To lose both looks like carelessness. ~The Importance of Being Earnest

Now look! We’ve figured it seventeen different ways, and each time we figured it, it was no good, because no matter how we figured it, somebody don’t like the way we figured it! So now, there’s only one way to figure it. And that is, every man, including the old bag, for himself! ~It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

hil Davis: How can a guy that ugly have the nerve to have sisters?
Bob Wallace: Very brave parenting. ~White Christmas

I am Harriet said...

I love great movie quotes.


Have a great Thursday!
http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/10/i-love-hootin-anni-and-not-the-13-worst-beers-in-the-world/

Xakara said...

I love the quotes. I actually got my sweetie a tshirt that has a name tag symbol of the left of the chest that says "Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die." *grin*

Happy TT,

~Xakara
13 Inspirational Sentences

{S.T.U.F.F.} said...

Great list...

I have two...can't recall the movie {good at remembering line, not so good at remembering names}

~ "...you had me at hello..."
~ "...you can't handle the truth!..."

It's been fun hanging out in your slice of the blogosphere. I'll be back, soon

Cindy Swanson said...

Ah, the first one is Jerry Maguire, the second one is A Few Good Men!

And Sherry, that Arsenic and Old Lace quote reminds me of something my son once said: "Overweight doesn't run in our family...it lies around on the couch."

Barbara said...

It's been a while since I've done TT too. I giggled when you said it was a lazy way of posting. LOL! That's exactly what brought me back today ... laziness.

Fun list. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

From Princess Bride to Dead Poets? That's quite the list.

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Cindy, these were great....everyone of them is a memorable phrase that often comes back to mind, depending on the situation. I don't know how others feel about film, but movies can influence us like literature....of course using different brain areas, but nonetheless, inspiring us!!! GREAT PICKS!!! Anita

Sandee said...

Gone with the Wind with "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn."

These are some great quotes.

Have a terrific day and Happy Halloween. :)

Unknown said...

Great quotes from even greater movies. Thanks!
Happy Halloween!

a joyful nusiance said...

I LOVE Gladiator!!! Great movie!!

Barbara H. said...

I haven't done Thursday Thirteen in ages, either. These are great -- I haven't seen two of the movies listed, but the others bring back many fond memories.

Related Posts with Thumbnails