Thursday, March 25, 2004

Aunt Sandra responds to the Tabasco memories...



After blogging about Cajun condiments and Louisiana memories the other day, I get this e-mail from my Aunt Sandra...my dad's baby sister who still lives in East Texas:

" Judy [my first cousin, Aunt Sandra's daughter] sent me your website and I really enjoyed reading it. I was going to point out how close you were to La when you were in Vidor,[East Texas] but you mentioned it. Also wanted to tell you they have roux already packaged and a LOT of people who have made gumbo for years are using it.
Ole grandma Sandra wanted to tell you it usually take two rounds of antibiotics to cure a sinus infection.. On the subject of Tabasco, I remember my Daddy used to take a piece of bread and shake La red hot sauce on it and eat it. I don't know why he preferred La hot sauce to Tabasco, maybe the scarcity of the latter, but he was never without it. I don't use it as much as Judy would make you think, but one thing unusual I do like it on is tuna salad. That gumbo recipe sounds really good. I will try to get Joe [Judy's husband] to make it. He and Jamie are our families resident gumbo cookers. Earl [Aunt Sandra's husband] and I always get crawfish ettouffe at the Picadilly Cafeteria. instead of gumbo."

As always when I hear from relatives, that makes me miss my extended "loved ones," as my dad would call them, and dearly miss my Grandma and Grandpa Garrett.

Grandma Garrett was a character! I'll have to tell you more about her sometime.

By the way, thanks for indulging my picture of Russell Crowe. Every once in a while, I just get the urge to post a picture of him. And I figure, it's my blog, so whyever not? :)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails