Monday, November 22, 2010

The Magic Foods for Better Blood Sugar

via


OK, maybe with Thanksgiving just around the corner you might not be thinking about eating for good health. But...

I've blogged several times about a book that has really helped me in my battle to manage Type 2 diabetes: Reader's Digest's Magic Foods for Better Blood Sugar.

Just in case you don't want to plunk down money for this wonderful book, I thought I would share with you the list of Magic Foods.

Some of these--like Jerusalem artichokes (?!), I haven't tried yet. Others have become staples of my diet, and I do want to incorporate as many as possible into my eating.

So, for the inquiring minds that want to know? Here's the list (and who knows, you may be able to incorporate some of these into your Thanksgiving festivities!):

(By the way, there's no significance to the varying font sizes--I just did that to break up the visual monotony of the list.)

photo by Alain Chirkov via

apples
avocado
barley
beans
beef
berries

via


bran
broccoli
brown rice
Brussels sprouts
bulgur
cabbage
carrots
cauliflower
cheese
cherries
chicken and turkey
cinnamon

via

citrus fruits
coffee
eggplant
eggs
fenugreek
fish
flaxseed
garlic
Jerusalem artichokes
lamb
lemons
lentils
melons
milk
nuts
oats

via


olive oil
onions
pasta
peaches, apricots, plums
peanut butter
peas
pork
pumpernickel bread
rye bread
seeds
shellfish
sourdough bread
soy foods
spinach and other dark greens
sweet potatoes
tea
tomatoes
turmeric
vinegar




wheatberries
wheat germ
whole wheat bread and flour
yogurt

1 comment:

Finding Pam said...

Cindy, thank you for sharing your list. Do some of the foods work against high cholesterol?

I am doing OK as far as the medicines my doctor has put me on, but I am feeling weird in the late afternoon before my evening meal. Right now I am winging it on the food items until I get to the dietician for more help.

I appreciate all of your knowledge and experience with diabetes.

Thanks again for the help.

Related Posts with Thumbnails