As always, if you're busily surfing Thursday Thirteens, bookmark this and come back later to check out the links! I know there's a lot of info here, but be patient with me!
The Amazing "Face"
1. The book trailer for Angela Hunt's THE FACE is out! I have more than one connection with this incredible trailer for an incredible book. Created by PulsePoint Design, the trailer features the author herself as the main narrator...and I must say, she does a terrific job. With a few lines each are my daughter Elizabeth Swanson and my radio co-host, Darren Marlar.
I need to add that Elizabeth is playing the role of a speaking deaf girl. One of the main characters is a 20-year-old girl with severe facial deformities, including the ability to hear only with a cochlear implant. Elizabeth had to do some research to be able to sound like a speaking deaf girl. The way she speaks in the trailer is not her normal speaking voice.
Scroll down to watch the trailer.
2. Here's what I had to say about The Face after reading an advanced copy last summer:
“In The Face, Angela Hunt has crafted an extraordinary tale that’s impossible to put down! The meticulously researched story line could have been lifted from today’s futuristic, high-tech headlines, and the undercurrent of international espionage will keep you turning pages. But long after you’ve finished The Face, you’ll be thinking—not only about the characters Hunt brings to life so skillfully, but the questions the story raises and the truths it underlines. The Face speaks profoundly to our inherent need for love and acceptance, as well as to the value we place on physical beauty. With each succeeding book—thanks to her masterful storytelling and thought-provoking plots, Angela Hunt’s stock as a contemporary writer of real importance continues to rise.”
(I need to add that I wrote this before I had any idea my daughter would have a small part in the book trailer. :))
Happy birthday, Billy Graham
3. Tomorrow is the 90th birthday of Billy Graham.
Prayer for persecuted Christians
4. Sunday is the International Day of Prayer for the Persecuted Church, when churches in the United States and around the world will focus on prayer and support for our brothers and sisters who are being persecuted for their faith in Jesus Christ. More at the Open Doors USA website.
Some positive news for pro-life advocates
5. After the election of the most pro-legal-abortion president ever, there is still some good news for pro-life activists.
Thirty Days of Thankfulness
6. Author Robin Lee Hatcher is blogging about things she's thankful for, every day this Thanksgiving month.
Wah-Wah, Joaquin :(
7. Actor Joaquin Phoenix is quitting acting to concentrate on music. Wow...that's the loss of a very talented actor.
Farewell, Michael Crichton
8. What was your favorite Michael Crichton book and/or movie? Sadly, the author passed away Tuesday. Of course, Jurassic Park was an incredible book and movie, but I also really liked the under-rated Timeline movie (an early glimpse of Gerard Butler), and when my co-host Darren Marlar loaned me the book Prey , I was riveted. The book was about nanotechnology, specifically about a swarm that reminded me and a lot of other people of the smoke monster on "Lost"...but "Lost" writers and producers are insistent that the smoke monster is NOT about nanotechnology.
What the Dickens??
9. Speaking of books...my interest in Charles Dickens has been ignited by a not-yet-published book called Drood, by Dan Simmons. My daughter brought home an advanced copy from Borders, where she works, and I've got to admit: fascinating. It deals with Dickens' life after he was involved in a deadly train collision, and it's written, Salieri-like, from the viewpoint of his protegee and friend, Wilkie Collins. After reading Drood, I checked out Peter Ackroyd's comprehensive biography, Dickens--and was amazed to learn that much of the stranger-than-fiction stuff in Drood actually happened.
Entertainer of the Year?
10. EW.com has created a game where you can choose your favorite pop culture personality of 2008.
11. Unbelievably, this Illinois man has an amazing streak of holes-in-one at a local golf course.
12. Barely elected, and Barack Obama already has a baby named after him.
13. And now, the book trailer for Angela Hunt's The Face:
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others' comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants