Tuesday, September 04, 2007

A weekend of old movies



It's rare for me to get a long weekend, so I thoroughly enjoyed this past Labor Day weekend! One of the pleasures was watching some old movies with my daughter.

Our movie-a-thon actually started late last week, with Casablanca. Despite the fact that this movie is on myriads of "best films ever" lists, I had never seen it (my daughter had.)



Although the acting is a bit melodramatic at times, (after all, the movie is 65 years old!!!) I really liked it. Humphrey Bogart is so cool; Claude Rains is amusing; and Ingrid Bergman is simply luminous.

Next: An American in Paris. I had seen this once, years and years ago, and remembered very little about it, except that it was short on story-line and long on singing and dancing.

Gene Kelly is simply amazing in this movie. His dancing is incredible. There was a bit more of a story-line than I remembered, but to be honest, the 13-minute fantasy sequence dragged on a bit for me (apparently I belong more to the short-attention-span age than I thought I did!) But it was still a visual feast. (According to imdb.com, that sequence took a month to film, and cost a half a million dollars...a lot of money in 1951!)

Next on the list: Mr. Mom. Liz had never seen it, and even though it is slightly dated, it still holds up pretty well. Michael Keaton and Teri Garr are both funny and cute--there's something very endearing about the young Keaton--and Martin Mull is great as Garr's smarmy boss.

One of the funniest things in the movie is how Keaton, as Jack, goes from disdaining soap operas ("Who watches that stuff?") to being a "The Young and the Restless" addict ("Can't talk now! Nikki's supposed to get her blood test today!")

We started watching Notorious, with Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman, but had to stop watching just as it seemed to really be getting interesting. Cary Grant is the epitome of debonair, and again, Ingrid Bergman is gorgeous--and black-and-white film has never been put to better use. We'll have to finish that one.

Bittersweet Labor Day...

Labor Day has always been a bittersweet holiday for me. Summer is my favorite season, and although it really doesn't end with August, it marks the end of summer for me. When my kids were little, it meant back to school--which was also a little sad for me.

This Labor Day week marks another change. My middle child, Justin, is leaving for Texas to start a new job. He will be surrounded by my loved ones who already live there--my son and his wife and my baby grandson; my mom; my sister and her family, and my brother and her family...but I will miss him SO much.

However, even though it's hard to let go of Justin and of the summer, I know that change can be good. And I must admit I enjoy the beautiful autumn leaves, crisp days and pumpkins as much as anyone. So, here we go!

12 comments:

Kerri said...

What fun to have a old moviefest with your daughter! The only one I remember seeing (just a few years ago) is Casablanca ..and loved it. It's interesting to read your reviews of the others. Maybe we'll borrow them from the library during the winter.
I share your thoughts on summer's end, but like you I enjoy the beauty and other things about autumn. Yes, we can't change it, so might as well make the most of it.
I'm glad you stopped by Cindy. Nice to "meet" you :)

Unknown said...

How 'bout that? We were thinking along the same way weren't we? Nice to visit with you. I have not seen ANY of those old movies by the way. I am not much into movies or tv at all. I'd rather be reading :)

Betty said...

Cindy, what a pleasure to have you visit my blog and leave the sweet birthday greeting....Thank you.

I listened to the audio welcome to your blog. What a pleasant voice you have....I will be back to visit with you, Lord willing....please come back to my home.....Betty

Ann-Marie said...

Good luck to Justin! And to you! Remember the old adage that no one fully appreciates "home" until they leave. He'll be back to visit and this place will be even more precious to him!

Val said...

Thanks for visiting my blog recently, Cindy.

This post of yours hits a soft spot with me: old classic films. I don't think I'm on the slow side but I do have trouble keeping up with the dialogue, quick scene changes etc of modern films, not to mention the violence. Although it's not that old and not a classic, I too enjoyed Mr Mom, which contained many hilarious truths about parenthood. Michael Keaton has done some interesting films, my favorite being Beetlejuice.

Btw, I'm very impressed with your "handwritten" Cindy-signature under your posts!

Solameanie said...

Casablanca is my favorite of all time period. I don't think the acting is melodramatic at all. Perhaps that's because I don't watch many modern movies, and the tension in acting today has been largely replaced by blue language and gross sexual situations. And yes, Ingrid is luminous indeed, the epitomy of a lovely lady.

Oddly enough, in one poll not too long ago, they put Citizen Kane in first place over Casablanca. While "Kane" is a good movie, I thought it didn't hold a candle to Casablanca in terms of its overall watchability.

Momma Roar said...

I love the colors of your blog!! Thanks for visiting me!

I have to say that I love Mr Mom - I had the name Keaton picked for each of our boys - but then we never used it.

Desia said...

I have been reading your blog for a while now, very enjoyable, there is always something happening here, this is my first time commenting though.
We love watching old movies too,and also thought ’An American in Paris’ a bit short on plot, as well as ’Funny Face’ (Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire) but the dancing and singing is good, and ’Gigi’(Leslie Caron) quite short on plot. (or maybe we didn’t get it!). Funny Face and Gigi both won some Academy awards, but I don’t see how Gigi could have won for Best Picture 1958!
Two really old B&W ones we actually enjoyed were ’Penny Serenade’ (Irene Dunn and Cary Grant) and ’The Last Time I Saw Paris’ (Elizabeth Taylor and Van Johnson)
I will now have to see ’Mr Mom’ after all the good reviews here!

Anonymous said...

oh how I love the oldies! They just don't make 'em like that anymore.

Beth said...

Thanks for the great movie tips. The only one I've seen is Casablanca—I'll definitely have to check the others out. I love the old classics. : )

Julee Ann said...

I hear ya! I should be upstairs cleaning the empty nest, but I'd rather puruse the 'net and look for others in my sad/happy situation. I'm trying to use the "alone" time to ramp up my writing so ta ta for now. I sincerely enjoy every one of your posts.

Robin Green said...

I truly love old movies--thanks for the suggestions. I can't imagine being in that stage of life where the kids are leaving home. I am dreading it, but know God will give grace when the time comes.

Related Posts with Thumbnails