Friday, September 21, 2007

A delicious skillet chicken recipe



Do you ever feel like you're in a rut with your cooking? Like you're making the same old things, over and over and over again?

That's how I've been feeling recently. However, in keeping with my recent commitment to begin eating healthier (more healthily?), I've been scouring the internet for tasty, relatively healthy recipes.

The other night I made the Delicious Skillet Chicken recipe that I found on Dottie's Weight Loss Zone. By the way, if you're trying to lose weight--particularly if you're doing it with Weight Watchers points--Dottie's site is a treasure trove! She has points listings for just about every restaurant in the nation. I don't happen to be counting points right now, but you really can't go wrong eating by WW guidelines. It's a good plan, and one I recommend highly.

Anyways...the recipe turned out delicious. I served it over brown rice. I was a little worried that my husband and daughter wouldn't like it, because neither of them are crazy about visible tomatoes in their food, but, surprise--they loved it.

By the way, I cheated on the chicken--I bought packaged, pre-cooked chicken strips. Oh, and I used an extra carrot instead of the celery, because aforementioned hubby and daughter can't stand celery.

Here it is, with hat tip to Dottie's Weight Loss Zone:

Delicious Skillet Chicken

This recipe can be made in under 10 minutes - you can prepare the vegetables
and chicken before you leave for work! Goes well over rice or pasta
(extra points) or with a green salad or steamed vegetables.

Makes 4 servings

Ingredients

1 tbsp olive oil
1 carrot (chopped)
2 onions (NOTE: I only used one good-sized onion)
1 celery stalk (chopped)
3/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut in strips)
1 (14 1/2 oz) can crushed tomatoes with basil, oregano & garlic (NOTE: I accidentally used a 28 oz can of tomatoes, but it turned out fine--in fact, I may use that much next time too)
4 tsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 TBSP chopped basil (optional since it is in the tomatoes)
1/2 tsp salt (NOTE: I didn't add the salt, and didn't miss it)
1/4 tsp pepper

Heat oil in large skillet. Sauté veggies until softened (about 10 minutes).
Add chicken strips. Cook until opaque (about 5 minutes). Stir in remaining
ingredients and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes, until flavors blend.

POINTS: 4

I also need to mention that when I made this, I had it on warm in my electric skillet for at least a half an hour before my family got home. I think the added time probably served to blend the flavors even more.

I am sooooo glad it's Friday! Everyone go out and have a blessed and wonderful wekend!

5 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

Sonds delish! How about a sample?! LOL!

Talk..to..Grams said...

This sounds good!! You have a nice weekend, too!

Cathy said...

Yum, thanks for the recipe, Cindy and for the Weight Watcher's site.

Ashley said...

Mmmmm! Sounds great, Cindy! Thanks for sharing. You know how I love to cook...

Speaking of food, I did the TT yesterday: 13 Soups. I'm so ready for cool weather!

BTW, did you watch Leslie on Survivor last night?

JenLo said...

I LOVE Dottie's WLZ! I'm gonna try this recipe this week. Thanx for sharing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails