Friday, September 14, 2007

Harris, Keaggy, the Winans honored



Christian singer Larnelle Harris, guitar virtuoso Phil Keaggy, the Winans and the Statler Brothers are being inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame.

Larnelle Harris is one of my favorite voices of all time. I blogged about Larnelle previously:

"I've loved Larnelle Harris I first 'discovered' him back in 1978.

My husband and I were students at BBC Springfield, looking for something to do on a date night, when I found out that Larnelle would be singing at an Assemblies of God meeting at the Hammons Center. I had heard Larnelle on the radio station where I worked, KWFC.

Well, we were blown away. I went out the next day and bought a Larnelle 8-track (people, this was 1978), and I've been a fan ever since...

(About the song, 'Were it Not for Grace':)Larnelle's voice is at its most beautiful and appealing here--imbuing each syllable with meaning and feeling; varying each nuanced note with quiet contemplation or soaring joy. It helps that the song is pretty much stripped down to little more than a piano accompaniment, allowing Larnelle's voice to be the featured instrument..an instrument that takes poignant lyrics and renders them powerful.


Go here to hear Larnelle sing "Friends in High Places."

Phil Keaggy reminds me of my early days here at 101QFL..I remember a lovely song we used to play of his called "Let Everything Else Go," and there's his poignant pro-life song, "Who will speak up for the little ones?"

And the Winans...their harmonies are unparalleled. I love, among others, "The Question Is," and "Tomorrow."

Good choices.

14 comments:

Granny said...

I've never been a big concert-goer, but Larnelle is one of the few singers I've been to see in person, and seldom in my life have I been more blessed. I was also privileged to sing a lot of his music through the years, since not only was it great music but he and I have pretty much the same vocal range and his tracks suited me perfectly. I have nothing but admiration for the man, the voice, and the body of work. Wow...

Donna-Jean Breckenridge said...

Ditto to the praise for Larnelle's work. I, too, have heard him sing, and it was very, very moving. It was a late night concert years ago at a National Religious Broadcasters convention. Sandi Patti joined him for "More than amazing" - and it was just that.

To me, a singer is a success when I get lost in his/her music so that I begin to forget them, their stage presence, their phrasing (though their skill at all those things is important) and I'm only aware of their message. Larnelle's singing does that. "I've seen (heard) Jesus" through his music.

Worthy recipients...

Cindy Swanson said...

Ladies, I couldn't agree more.

Anonymous said...

phil keaggy has a cool cd that came out recently called "Acoustic Cafe". It's an album of covers of classic songs. Some of the tracks are actually better than the originals...

Randy Spradlin said...

Cindy,
I think my favorite Larnelle song has to be "I Miss My Time With You." It's difficult to pick just one since he has so many great ones. But that one really stands out.
Randy

Kay Day said...

I love Larnelle, too. I love The Dessert of my Days and I Want to Know Christ the best.
Also, I've Just Seen Jesus with Sandy Patti

Cindy Swanson said...

Randy, "I Miss My Time With You" is a great one...and Kay, "I've Just Seen Jesus" is incredible.

Jonny, I hadn't heard anything by Phil Keaggy in years...I'll have to check that CD out...hey, remember our Winans CD that we nearly wore out? :)

Anonymous said...

Cindy,

Just saw in the Rock River Times that Phil Keaggy will be here on October 12 to perform at Charlotte's Web along with Muriel Anderson.

Have a great weekend!
Aaron

Ann-Marie said...

Mom and I discovered Larnelle after my dad died unexpectedly in 1999. We just bathed in his amazing theology, songs, and THAT voice!

The song "In It After All" became our "getting through it song." When mom got remarried three years later to an amazing Christian man, they requested "In It After All" as "their" song, and I had to contact Larnelle's personal assistant to get the sheet music, since it wasn't available commercially. His staff was so amazing! They went above and beyond to help us out, and Larnelle himself wished Mom and Gary "Best Wishes" in a letter when they mailed us the sheet music!

He's an amazing performer and a wonderful real-life person!

Talk..to..Grams said...

I love them too!! Grams

Jen said...

Wonderful, I'm so happy for all of them, but especially Larnelle and of course the Winans (having been a big fan of them since I was quite young). They're such talented artists, truly focused on God. Hooray!

Girl Raised in the South said...

I'm right there with you - I've always loved Larnell Harris - what a voice.

Katy McKenna said...

When Phil Keaggy lived here in KC in the early 80s, we went to church together. My hubby and another friend made a multi-media slide production to accompany "Who Will Speak Up For the Little Ones?" Phil would run it during his concerts when he sang the song. We still have it here somewhere.....in the archives!

soulmon said...

first of all, i'm glad to find this blog.

larnelle will always be one of my favorite Christian artist, eversince i've heard some of his songs thru' a Christian radio station here in the Philippines, the first song that ministered to me was "The Strength of the Lord." it's sad there were very few copies of his music here at our country, but it's a blessing that my sister in Florida is always updating me by sending CD's and sometimes accompaniment tapes. it's also a great priviledge for me to sing some of his songs at our church since it is always a priviledge for me to share his music to our churchmates. i'm saddened by the fact that artist like Larnelle doesn't have enough airtime here at our country that's why i always wanted to share to them the beauty of his music in my own little ways.
sometimes when i think about what heaven would be like, one day when we will all be with the Lord, we'll hear Larnelle sing there everyday, and really that is to look forward for, and what a way to spent eternity with our Lord.

Related Posts with Thumbnails