Tuesday, January 02, 2007

An awesome New Year



Apparently I need to weed one of my favorite words out of my vocabulary.

I will admit I often fall back on "awesome" to describe anything I think is...well, awesome. But Lake Superior State University is out with its annual list of words and phrases it wants banned from the English language, and "awesome" is one of them.

Actually, in one context, I can see their point. Unfortunately, said in a certain tone of voice, the word conjures up memories of Bill and Ted's eighties adventures. "Awesome, dude!"

However, "awesome" shouldn't be banned on that account! It really is a great word. What about: "Oh Lord my God, when I in awesome wonder consider all the works thy hands have made..." from "How Great Thou Art."

And I really don't think Rich Mullins was channeling Keanu Reeves when he penned: "Our God is an awesome God...." I have a pretty good hunch that he meant it in the Merriam-Webster definition of "awe": "an emotion variously combining dread, veneration, and wonder that is inspired by authority or by the sacred or sublime "

So maybe I throw around "awesome" a little too freely.

But I do have to agree with some of the other things on the list...like the practice of combining celebrity names like "TomKat" and "Brangelina." Eeeuw. I can't stand that.

As for my totally awesome Christmas holidays...well, if not inspiring of great awe, they were truly wonderful. I so enjoyed having my son Jonathan and his wife Daylyn here for Christmas. It was a rare time for our entire family to be together, and I truly thank God for it.

In the picture above, from left to right: Justin, Doug, Elizabeth, me, Jonathan and Daylyn--baby Payton unseen, but present!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails