Lake Superior State University has come out with its annual List of Words Banished from the Queen's English for Mis-Use, Over-Use and General Uselessness.
From the site: "This year's list is culled from more than 4,500 nominations received mostly through the university's website, www.lssu.edu/banished. Word-watchers target pet peeves from everyday speech, as well as from the news, fields of education, technology, advertising, politics and more. A committee makes a final cut in late December. The list is released on New Year's Day."
Here for your Thursday Thirteen perusal are most of the words on the list. For the complete list, and more funny comments about them, go here.
1)GITMO -- The US military's shorthand for a base in Guantanomo, Cuba
2)COMBINED CELEBRITY NAMES --"Brangelina," "TomKat," etc. Yup...I find that nauseating.
3)AWESOME --I disagree somewhat with this one; "awesome" is a good word when used correctly--but I admit I used it too freely
4)GONE MISSING OR WENT MISSING -- Are they going to come back from missing?
5) PWN or PWNED -- Don't understand this one; I guess because I'm not a "gamer"
6) NOW PLAYING IN THEATERS --Where else is it going to be playing?
7)WE'RE PREGNANT -- These quotes say it all: "Were men feeling left out of the whole morning sickness/huge belly/labor experience? You may both be expecting, but only one of you is pregnant." -- Sharla Hulsey, Sac City, Iowa.
"I'm sure any woman who has given birth will tell you that 'WE' did not deliver the baby." -- Marlena Linne, Greenfield, Indiana.
8)UNDOCUMENTED ALIEN -- From the site:"If they haven't followed the law to get here, they are by definition 'illegal.' It's like saying a drug dealer is an 'undocumented pharmacist.'" -- John Varga, Westfield, New Jersey.
9)ARMED ROBBERY/DRUG DEAL GONE BAD -- From the site: "What degree of "bad" don't we understand? Larry Lillehammer of Bonney Lake, Washington, asks, "After it stopped going well and good?"
10) TRUTHINESS – Apparently popularized by Stephen Colbert of TV's "Colbert Report"
11) ASK YOUR DOCTOR -- A popular TV ad catch phrase. "I don't think my doctor would appreciate my calling him after seeing a TV ad." -- Peter B. Liveright, Lutherville, Maryland.
12) CHIPOTLE – Where did this flavoring come from, anyway?
13) i-ANYTHING -- 'e-Anything' made the list in 2000. Geoff Steinhart of Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, says tech companies everywhere have picked this apple to the core.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It’s easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants