Thursday, October 13, 2005

My latest news from Baghdad



I've often blogged about my brother David, a Gulf War Marine veteran and Texas cop who is currently training Iraqi cops in Baghdad.

Needless to say, David's stint in Iraq has kept his sisters and mom on good praying ground. I would be lying if I said I didn't often feel great anxiety about his situation.

Yesterday, he sent out a bulk e-mail saying that he and four other people would be traveling on what he called the most dangerous stretch of highway in Iraq. "Almost everyone except fully supported military convoys are holed up for the voting process," he wrote. "On the other hand this is the last day we have to do some essential business, that has to be taken care of there...All I ask is that you say a serious prayer for us, before you go to sleep."

One of the first things I did this morning was fire off an e-mail to David, asking him to check in and let us know he was OK and how the trip went. Thankfully, I got this reply:

"Dear Cindy.

Thank you for your prayers. Although I have been on that route many times before, there were warnings not to travel due to the upcoming vote on the constitution. The trip was safe and uneventful, other than the fact that the entire route was covered by more U.S. tanks and Bradley armored convoys than I had ever seen on that stretch of road. Today route Irish as it is called was one of the most protected routes in Iraq. Thanks again for your prayers. I believe prayers change things.

Love David."

Shortly afterwards, after e-mailing him that I was so glad he was safe, I got this reply:

"I have never seen such a stong military presence on that stretch of highway, a snake couldnt have moved. I believe in the power of prayer, and I have come to trust my instincts on when to request more prayer coverage. The powerful awesome presence of our U.S. military, with helicopters, tanks, and Bradley fighting vehicles, is like a visible Army of angels. And around them and us is an invisible Army that I am sure is a larger more impressive and powerful host.
Love you. David"

Although David is understandably private about the specifics of his work in Iraq, he knows that I've shared his situation and requested prayer for him on 101QFL. So today, I mentioned his e-mail on the air.

Not long afterward, a listener called up to thank me for updating David's situation. She said that she and a few other ladies get together every Monday night to pray for people whose names are written on craft sticks, and David's prayer stick just happened to come up Monday night!

I'm blown away that people who don't know David in the least--they don't even know his last name--are praying for him on a regular basis. I'm humbled and grateful, and they'll never know how much it means to me.

If you'd like to read other posts about David, here are a couple:

What I have in common with Cindy Sheehan

InshaAllah

My news from Baghdad
Quote o' the Day



No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails