Monday, December 08, 2014

Twelve Christmas questions!

photo credit









I found this in the archives of this blog, but thought it would be a fun thing to resurrect.  Answer the questions yourself on your own blog, in my comments section, or on Facebook!



1. Christmas is _Jesus______. [fill in the blank with ONE WORD]

2. In memories, what was the best part of your Christmases past?--Opening presents!

3. Was Santa ever good to you? [describe how and what]--Many times. I remember, when I was about eight, getting a baby doll that I had long coveted at a local department store. When my parents were missionaries to Lebanon, a favorite great aunt visited and bought beautiful bicycles for my sister and me. 

My favorite presents of all were books, though--even when I was a little girl, I was an avid bookworm. I never remember being disappointed at Christmas.

photo credit
photo credit

4. Do you open gifts on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, or both?--My husband's family is Swedish in origin, and the tradition of celebrating on Christmas Eve has persisted. When our kids were little, we always came home and opened presents after the Swanson family gathering on Christmas Eve. We still open presents then.

5. Is there something you make each and every year? [craft or recipe]--I always make Ritz crackers with peanut butter, dipped in almond bark. Now that I've found out I'm diabetic, I won't be indulging as heavily in these delectable treats, but I'll still make them.

photo credit


6. What is your favorite five[5] Christmas songs/hymns?--
(In no particular order):

--Hark the Herald Angels Sing
--For Unto Us A Child is Born, from Handel's Messiah
--Welcome to Our World
--Sleigh Ride
--Joy to the World



7. Is there a new tradition for Christmas since your childhood days?--I don't remember getting Christmas stockings as a child, but I've always given them to my kids. Although they got to open their presents on Christmas Eve, they awoke to find their stockings full on Christmas morning.

8. Describe one of your Christmas trips. [whether it's across town or across country]--We've gone home to Texas a few times for Christmas, starting with when I was expecting my first child, Christmas 1979. A few of my favorite Christmases were in Wyoming with my sister Bev and her family. The snow, the mountains and evergreens were postcard perfect for the season, and Bev and her husband have always made us feel so very welcome and loved. We have wonderful memories of sitting around the fire watching Christmas movies, and incredibly delicious food.


My grandsons Josiah and Payton a couple of Christmases ago

9. Do you have a special Christmas outfit to wear for the day?--I try to have something festive and new to wear for the Swanson family gathering (which is now no longer on Christmas Eve. The brothers and sisters now celebrate Christmas Eve with their own individual kids and grandkids, since the family has gotten so big.) But on Christmas Day it's usual something pretty but comfortable.
My Christmas tree in 2012

10. Have YOU or any of your family members sat on Santa's lap?--Not me! I think all my kids have at one point, as babies. I don't think they liked it, either!

11. What is/or will be on your Christmas tree this year?--I don't think I'm going to put one up this year...it's already a little late in the game.  When I was planning to put it up, I was going to decorate it in teal, silver and white, to complement my relatively new livingroom decor.



12. Do you/or have you decorated your yard for Christmas?--Not really. I have some wreaths on the lights on either side of my garage door, and a wreath on the door, but that's about it.


7 comments:

Elaine Mingus said...

O, Emmanuel is my favorite song. It touched me so much last year when we were really struggling financially.

My tradition is making the turkey with brining. It really makes it yummy.

I usually decorate outside, but this year my oldest daughter did it and she did a WAAYYY better job. Yay for me not having to do it!

Unknown said...

We have two trees and decorations outside. I think my favorite tradition is how we did gifts ( http://www.airmantomom.com/2014/12/3-gifts) something we wanted, needed and special. I always enjoyed our special trips. :)

Susan said...

My favorite song is O Holy Night!

Bethany Boring said...

My boys just did the Santa's lap thing this past weekend...the 2 older ones did well. Our youngest completely flipped out! Yep...that's why we do Santa...for these unforgetable moments...of course.

Emmanuel is my only word for Christmas.

Silent Night is my FAVORITE song :)

Jo said...

Fun Christmas memories there!

Tobi@simplyjesusministries.com said...

Fun list! And those grandsons of yours are adorable. Think I might put this on my list of blog posts to write, thanks for sharing it.

Unknown said...

I used your 12 questions or my blog post today! Thanks for the idea and inspiration. :) http://www.airmantomom.com/2014/12/12-christmas-questions/

Related Posts with Thumbnails