Monday, October 31, 2011

My very first (and maybe my last?) Outfit of the Day


One five-dollar dress, two ways

I absolutely love outfit-of-the-day posts, but I've never done one myself. I decided to step outside the box and take a chance for two reasons:

1) I want to participate in Not Dead Yet Style's Visible Monday bloghop. (I LOVE the title of that blog! You'll probably only identify if you're 40 or over. :))

2) I got this dress for 4 DOLLARS and 56 CENTS (plus tax) at Target!!! And I want to show you a couple of ways I've worn it so far.

The dress is a slate blue/gray Mossimo knit dress with a dropwaist, blouson-type style. It's soft and comfy.

On Sunday, I wore it over a black tank, with black tights and 3-inch black peeptoe shoes. I wore a choker my sister Beverly gave me, and I went out of the box a little (for me) and wore a black decorative headband.

(By the way, the choker, including the little stone in it, is from Ireland! I dream of going there someday.)

The dress reminds me a little of a flapper, roaring 20's silhouette, so I wore my hair curly and added the headband.

I don't have a full-length pic of that look, but you can see a headshot above.

Closer view of the headband. Now ladies, I debated whether a woman of my age should be wearing something like this, but I decided, again, to step outside the box. And I got a lot of compliments on it! The best part is it was $1.99 at the same store at which I got the ring you'll see below.


Today I wore the dress over an ivory tank, with a scarf I got on clearance at Target for $3.24 plus tax, a denim jacket, gray pantyhose and my brown boots.

Here we go!

Dress--Target clearance rack
Scarf--Target clearance rack
Denim jacket--JC Penney Outlet, a few years ago





A closer look at the scarf



My boots. My hose look white here, but they're definitely gray!

I got the boots a couple of years ago from a clearance table at Shoe Carnival.

Don't you love this little ring?! I got it for $1.99 at a little beauty supply store near where I live.

So, that's it...my first Outfit of the Day! I have to say I was encouraged to do it by looking at some wonderful blogs written by women my age, who clearly show that you can be classy, attractive and fashionable at any age!

To participate in Not Yet Dead Style's Visible Monday,
click on the icon!



Join us! Click the Spotlight

14 comments:

Patti said...

Wow, Cindy, you are my kind of woman! Fashionable and budget-conscious - and you look so fab in your bargains!

Thanks for participating in Visible Monday, and please come back : >

Susan B said...

Love the look of the scarf, boots and denim jacket! Nicely done!

Ashley said...

Good for you, Cindy! You look great! I'm trying to step out of my tiny little fashion box as well.

I've got two pairs of gorgeous winter boots: one black leather and one chocolate brown suede (both tall - I don't like short boots for me). My next boot purchase will be some cowboy boots, which I've been dying to have for the last two years. I just haven't been willing to fork over the money for them - even though I still have over half of last year's birthday money left. (My birthday is in less than 2 weeks...)

I haven't bought myself any cute outfits in years, either. I usually just wear denim (capris or jeans, depending on the temperature...) and a T-shirt of some sort. And flip-flops or tennis shoes. :oP (My boots are for church...)

Anyway, my older sister has great style and I finally decided to take some tips from her. I want to get some leggings and tunics to wear with my various boots.

I've got the money to do it. I just need to convince myself to spend it. :o)

I think I feel a long-overdue blog post coming on... Thanks for the inspiration!

Debbi@SheAccessorizesWell said...

Please do continue to post outfits. You look really nice. Love the boots.

Pam @ over50feeling40 said...

Cindy, you look awesome! Welcome to the world of OOTD!! I hope you will continue along with the rest of us! It is so much fun..just like your headband which is really cute!! I have you featured on the front page of my blog today where I put my new friends!!

Crazy RAvens Studio said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Love the scarf. Scarves are cool, they're in and they keep your neck warm. Happy Halloween.

Kari said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Definitely keep up the out of the days. They're lots of fun, and you start finding out all these fun things that you can do with your clothes!

Unknown said...

oh, I want you to join us! More outfit posts and more visible Mondays! Please--you look great!

Unknown said...

ps Im following!!!

Marie-Thérèse said...

Love your outfit. As to headbands after a certain age....well, when is that age? I recently bought my 95-year-old Mother a jeweled headband and she looks fabulous in it. It's all in the attitude.

Anonymous said...

Awesome first OOTD!! Awesome OOTD period actually, first or fifteen hundredth!
I love the way you mixed your neutrals here--a favorite look of mine lately.
I may not identify with said "women of a certain age" or Not Dead Yet Style, but I can appreciate the reference as well as the lovely style coming from these women:-)
Glad I found you at VM!

my thrifty closet said...

you look fabulous! I like your outfits. The little floral hair band is cute. I also like your scarf and boots in your second outfit. It's great to have all these little nice touches to jazz up your outfit. And so thrifty too. You're really sweetl! Following you!

mongs
mythriftycloset.blogspot.com

materfamilias said...

There, that wasn't so scary, was it? Congrats on putting up your first OOTD post and well done! Thanks for stopping by my blog; it's fun to be part of this Visible Monday community.

Claire said...

what a great outfit! i love the dress, the boots, the scarf, etc. i especially love that headband!!! you put it all together well. definitely keep posting your outfits!

Claire
spinning-threads.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails