Monday, June 07, 2010

My Quest to Lose 10 Pounds




Going Public With It!

I've made the decision that I want to lose 10 pounds. And yes, I'm going public with it.

This is kind of scary, but I think making this public will hold me accountable and maybe even give me some much-needed encouragement.

Also, if any of you want to join me in this quest, feel free!

10 and counting down

No, I'm NOT going to tell you how much I weigh...that is for me, God and my doctor to know! I'll start with 10 and count down to zero.

I weighed this morning, so I will weigh again next Monday, a week from today. (I don't believe in frequent weighings, because body weight can fluctuate so much).

I will report my results here. (Whooo...this is a little nerve-racking.)

My plan

These are my basic guidelines:

1) Try to stick as closely as possible to what my diabetes educators recommend for me, carb-wise: 45 carb grams per meal and 15 per snack.

2) Focus on vegetables, fruits, lean meats, legumes, whole grains.

3) Drink lots of water with lemon.

4) Exercise at least 30 minutes a day.

However, none of these guidelines are engraved in stone, because once I engrave them in stone, it's too easy to give up if I fail in one area. (That's just the way I am, unfortunately.)

By the way, I do need to lose more than 10 pounds, but I just want to conquer this 10 pounds at this particular juncture.

Wish me well! And comment if you'd like to join me.

4 comments:

Jenn said...

Hey Cindy! Good luck on the 10 lbs! I know you can do it! I made a deal with myself on January 1st of this year that I would lose the weight I gained in the past few years due to stress, a horrible work environment, deaths in the family, etc., and I am down to my last 10. I thought it wouldn't be possible, but it's amazing how far you can go just by figuring out what works for you and not giving up! Whatever you've decided, just stick to your guns and do it! I believe in you! ~God Bless!

Ashley said...

Good for you, Cindy! And I'll join you! I've lost 10-11 pounds since January, but I've reached a plateau that I can't seem to get past. (Well, I've started back with my extra snacking again, so that's not helping...) I want to lose 15-20 more, but I'll gladly take it 10 pounds at a time with you.

I have started doing more since last week. The pool in our neighborhood is now open, so I took the boys twice last week. We were in the pool over an hour both times. I swam and worked with them on their swimming techniques from last year's lessons. I've started working out each morning at home, focusing on upper body, lower body, and my core. The only days I want to take off from that are Saturday and Sunday - though I did skip last Wednesday because of laziness. I've also started going for a brisk evening walk through the neighborhood. I've done that the last five evenings without fail - for at least 20 minutes, usually more.

I weigh myself every morning, but that helps me see how my slip-ups affect me. That's been helpful. It motivates me to do better, but it also lets me know that if I slip up every once in a while, I haven't undone everything.

One big bonus in this: I've dropped one size already! I'm back in the size I wore 3 years ago! Thankfully I kept those jeans and capris, so I don't have to buy new ones, though I did treat myself to two new pairs of demin capris for Mother's Day. (Some of my old pairs are no longer decent to wear in public.)

I need to get back to blogging about my progress. I haven't done that in a while, but you've inspired me! Thanks!

Rodney Olsen said...

I look forward to reading your updates to see how you're going with the ten pounds.

It's a brave move to go public with such a goal but I'm sure that it will inspire you to keep going.

LisaShaw said...

Standing with you dear one and praying for you now! I'm on the same journey but for about 30 lbs --fighting menopause. GOD is faithful!

Love you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails