Monday, September 17, 2007

I'm glad I didn't watch the Emmys...


...but I'm also glad Terry O'Quinn won one

Honestly, I used to kind of like awards shows. It was fun to see what the "beautiful people" were wearing (or actually not wearing, in some cases), and it was interesting to see if the people--or shows, or movies--that I thought were deserving, actually won.

But for the past few years, I've really soured on awards shows. Although I enjoy entertainment and leisure as much as the next person--well, these big, bloated, grandiose events have seemed increasingly excessive, vain, and even hypocritical to me. And I really don't care to hear my favorite actors pontificating on politics, thank you. I also heard potty-mouth syndrome was a big problem at last night's show.

So I'm not sorry I missed the Emmys last night. But that said...I am glad that Terry O'Quinn won for his role as John Locke in "Lost." As you know if you've read this blog for any length of time, I'm a big fan of "Lost." I think it's one of the best, if not the best, shows on television these days.

O'Quinn does a terrific job in his role as Locke, and he deserved to win. However, I have to say that Michael Emerson (Ben Linus), who was also nominated, easily deserved to win as well. I've seen Emerson interviewed, and he really seems like a very nice, low-key, down-to-earth guy. But on "Lost," he makes you despise his character. He's just chillingly, scarily evil. That's good acting.

And now, I do the Monday Madness meme!


Join me in answering the Monday Madness questions, either in my comments section or on your own blog. (If you blog it, be sure and go to the Monday Madness blog and enter in their comments section that you've participated.)

Here we go:

1. What was your biggest challenge this past week?--Making some big changes in my diet and exercise to counteract potential health problems. That will be ongoing!

2. What was your biggest accomplishment this past week?--Actually getting started with these changes. The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step!

3. What was the most exciting thing that happened in your life this past week?--Singing with my sister Lisa at the 101QFL/Radio 91 fundraiser banquet.

4. What one thing made you the happiest this past week?--Having Lisa fly up here and spend a few days together, thanks to the banquet. My sisters and I all live far apart (Lisa in Texas, Beverly in Wyoming), and we treasure any time we can be together!

10 comments:

Solameanie said...

I also took a a whack at the Emmys on my blog this afternoon. It is sad, isn't it? Why don't they just put on water wings and take a dive in the closest septic tank?

I was really disappointed in Sally Field for letting rip. I thought she had more class than that.

Anonymous said...

I hadn't heard anything about the Emmys except that there was some bad language. I used to love to watch those shows, too, but I've lost interest. I was watching either the Emmys or Academy Awards a few years ago -- probably the latter -- when the opening skits had Billy Crystal naked in part of it. That was the last time for me. I know not to expect the world to act like Christians, but, good grief, whatever happened to common decency.

And I like to see the pretty dresses (when they are adequately covering something) and dressed-up hair styles, but I totally hate the catty red carpet criticism about what everyone has on that plays in some circles.

I blogged a few days ago about something Kathy Griffin said at the Creative Arts Emmys -- she took the opportunity of her win to proclaim that not only did Jesus not have anything to do with her award, but to say something vulgar in reference to Him and to proclaim her award her god. I don't know if she was serious or she thought it was funny, but it was in poor taste either way. If she had said the same about Allah, the story would be burning up the airwaves.

All, that said, though, I am really glad to hear Terry O'Quinn won. Michael Emerson deserves to win, too, but I've been rooting for Terry longer. :-)

My biggest challenge and accomplishment this past week: getting a tooth pulled and surviving. :-)

Marshamlow said...

I too am a big Lost fan. I didn't see the Emmy's either, I used to love this show, but not so much anymore. Maybe we are just getting older, I don't know. Congrats on your first steps toward better health. I need to take similar steps. Thanks for the inspiration.

Karla Porter Archer said...

award shows are just awful nowadays...

How fun that you and your sister got to sing and hang out together!

Blessings,
Karla

Ann-Marie said...

I flipped back and forth during the Emmys this year. It wasn't well-written and the performances were only so-so this year. My husband and I did enjoy the Jersey Boys songs, though.

I'm glad Terry won, too.

And I'm glad they censored Sally Field.

I don't really like her.

Anonymous said...

Me, I'm just miffed Neil Patrick Harris didn't take the BSA Emmy for "How I Met Your Mother." Piven is wonderful, but Harris is awesome.

Talk..to..Grams said...

I didn't watch the Emmy's.... I think Barbara H. said it all!!!

Randy Spradlin said...

Cindy,
I too have abandoned the award shows. Everything you said was right on key. Too many political comments, the hypocrisy, et.al. Plus, I always found it extremely hyprocritcal that these actors get large sums of money for doing something they love and then they turn around and 'give' themselves awards for doing so. Too much!
However, I am glad that Terry O'Quinn won from Lost. The only redeeming moment I guess.
Randy

Anonymous said...

I once liked Sally Field, but I stopped when she tried to tell me that taking a pill every week is such a terrible drain, and that I could get out of that terrible drudgery by taking a pill once a month. I know she didn't write those words so I shouldn't hold them against her, but she SAID them. How lazy can you get. (In case you don't know what I'm talking about, it is a commercial she is in.)

Concerning the Emmy's or any of the award shows, I haven't watched for years. Poor souls think they are so important. Where in the great scheme of things will they be when we all stand before the Lord?

Solameanie said...

But, Pat...she LIKES the pills. She really, really likes them! :)

I chortled when I heard that line.."my friend told me she actually has to SET ASIDE TIME" to take her osteoporosis pill. Give me a flip! How long does it take to swallow a stupid pill? Two seconds? Three?

This will be the next commercial ala Tootsie Pop:

"How long does it take to swallow your osteoporosis medicine?"

"Ask Mr. Owl."

"One. Two. Three. . . . Three."

The world may never know.

Related Posts with Thumbnails