Saturday, September 29, 2007

Dealing with Diabetes

Well, I just found out that I'm part of a club I never wanted to join, but that I knew the likelihood was high that I would.

I found out for sure this week that I'm a diabetic. Or do you just say, "I'm diabetic"? See, I don't even know the right lingo yet.

My late father was diabetic (although that's not what claimed his life), my brother is, and a host of relatives and ancestors. For years, I knew I was at risk, and I had great intentions of being proactive and preventing it. Unfortunately, my efforts were sporadic and inadequate.

A couple of weeks ago, my friend Teri, who lives in Tennessee, was here for the weekend. Teri just found out a few months ago that she is diabetic. She kept bugging me to take my blood sugar, and I kept resisting. I guess a part of me thought that what I didn't know wouldn't hurt me.

Now I'm thanking God that Teri insisted. My blood sugar was very high. I made a doctor's appointment, and I'm now taking medication for Type 2 diabetes.

Since that high blood sugar count a couple of weeks ago, I've drastically changed my eating. I've exercised almost every single day, and I'm taking apple cider vinegar morning and night.

On Friday, I went to a diabetes educator. She was wonderful. She explained in detail the way I would need to be eating to control my diabetes. I was given a glucometer and taught how to use it.

So far, my blood sugar numbers have been very good...well within the acceptable ranges.

To be honest, it's a little overwhelming, I find myself getting emotional, because this is something I really didn't want.

But you know what? I'm viewing it as a challenge. I'm going to do everything I can, with God's help, to control this. I would love to someday be able to get off the pills, and that's my goal. I'm grateful that a friend cared enough about me not to take "no" for an answer. And I thank God that now I have the chance to make some real changes in my diet and exercise, that will benefit me in every way.

16 comments:

Lyric said...

Ah...Cindy. I'm sorry to hear this but it is better to know and be proactive in dealing with its impact - sounds like that's just what you're doing.

I'll add this to my prayers, I'm sure the emotional realities are more difficult to navigate than it appears on the outside.

Ashley said...

Thanks for sharing, Cindy. I'll be praying for you.

Randy Spradlin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Terry Lange said...

Cindy,

I found out in 2006 that I was type II also. It really scared me. I really watch what I eat now, I lost 40 lbs since that time and walk everyday at least 2 miles or more. My doctor told me that I did not need medication but that I could control it with diet and exercise.

It still scares me sometimes, but I have to remember that God is still sovereign and that He did this to make me more aware of how I was eating bad and not exercising. In a real sense, I was not being a good steward of my body at that time.

You will get through the initial shock phase and the frustration, it takes time. Pour your heart out to God during this time.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you have a good attitude about this, Cindy. You are lucky to have a friend that cares, and I congratulate you on being so proactive.

Karla Porter Archer said...

i'm sorry to hear that you are having to deal with diabetes.

I worry about my husband; his family history of it is like yours... right now he is the only one (except for our kids) on his side of the family, that DOESN'T have it.

Hugs to you!

Blessings,
Karla

Lori said...

I am sorry about this. My Mom went through the same thing, I have to say once she got it under control (ate the right foods, took her medicine, and exercised more) it made a world of difference.

The beginning is the hardest part. Learning how to do everything.

It is a challenge, and just think of it as God widening your ministry.

Randy Spradlin said...

Cindy,
I have a friend that is type 1 diabetic (the one you normally are born with). I've seen his struggles. I've felt for him. As a test, I downed 2 Cokes and took my blood sugar and it was 92! (Which is really good!) I eat a lot of wrong things and need to lose 15 pounds. However, my friend (whom I must protect his privacy as he wants it that way) said, "Randy, a lot of elements go into becoming type 2. You don't have that."

However, I struggle with other physical ailments. Life hands us so pretty deep lows, doesn't it?
My friend Rosemary is going through a bad physical situation right now.

I said all that to say, that you are being proactive and that is a very good thing. My heart goes out to you. May you be able to learn more about it, control it and still live a full active life that many do.

I care about you and will pray that you face this thing head on and come out victorious.

In Christ Alone,

Randy

DK said...

Hi Cindy,
I'm sorry to hear your news; a medical diagnosis is always huge BUT I'm very glad to hear you've already taken positive steps to take charge. Good for you!

This nasty bump in the road put you on a healthier path, and I'm sure you'll be physically stronger for it very soon. I'll keep you in my prayers, sis :)

DK

Karla Porter Archer said...

hi again Cindy --

I wanted to come back by and mention that your post on "Chuck" was the reason I considered even watching it. So MANY thanks!! Did you watch it?

Vicki said...

Blessings to you, Cindy! Diabetes is on one side of my family, too, and this post is a good reminder for me, as well. I pray you'll live long and well, all to the glory of God! He is indeed widening your ministry.

hugs,
Vicki

Gary Means said...

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. My son was diagnosed with Type 1 when he was 9. He's 20 now. So our family has been dealing with diabetes for a while.

However, I go in this month for my first visit with a diabetes educator for ME. My A1C levels were elevated when I had my last labs. I already see an endocrinologist because I had a pituitary tumor.

So now it's time for me to begin eating responsibly and actually exercising.

It sounds like you are off to a great start. It's great that it was caught when it was, and that you can control it with meds and lifestyle changes.

May God be close to you as you adjust to this challenge.

Katy McKenna said...

Cindy, I understand, too! My parents are/were both diabetic, as is my younger sister. I was considered borderline diabetic from age 25 to 46, when I took the step of completely eliminating sugar from my diet. For the past 8 years, I test completely normal!! With no meds. When my sister attempts a zero-sugar diet, she is able to go off meds, but when she reverts to eating sugar, she's back on the pills. I will pray you can nip this in the bud!!!

Jen said...

I'm sorry to hear this, but surely God can and will heal you. That said, I'm very glad you let your friend's "nagging" get to you and that you were tested. It's a common illness but can be extraordinarily harmful (it is an autoimmune disease, after all). Now you can take action!

It's great you're seeing doctors who will help you with this. The negative is easy to focus on, but after being diagnosed with the illness I have, it was nice to know I could DO something about the way my body had felt for so long. :)

Talk..to..Grams said...

So sorry to hear this!! I too have this!! and I did not do a good job like I know you will in trying to control this!! So now I take 2 insulins shots a day.... So please do what they say and you will do fine!! I won't say it is easy but you can do it!!!

Norma said...

Sorry to hear about this. It is a serious disease, but looks like you are up to the challenge and will not let it get the best of you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails