Friday, July 06, 2007

"Wicked" was outstinkingstanding!


Dee Roscioli, "Elphaba"

I saw "Wicked" yesterday in Chicago, and I was blown away!

My sister Lisa and I had planned a trip into the city yesterday, along with my niece Katie and my daughter Elizabeth. We had talked about trying to get into a matinee performance, but weren't holding out a lot of hope.


Eric Mackey, "Glinda"

However, as soon as we got to Chicago, I dropped Lisa and the girls off at the Oriental Theater and circled the block until they came out, tickets in hand! We had balcony seats that were really not bad at all.

The entire performance as awesome, but I was particularly blown away by Dee Roscioli as Elphaba. Having been used to hearing Idina Menzel on the soundtrack, I wasn't sure how I would like someone else in the role. Believe me, Dee Roscioli filled Menzel's shoes admirably. Her voice was amazing. Her "Defying Gravity" was a huge, triumphant, emotion-inducing, spectacular, show-stopping tour de force that we will never forget!

And props also have to be given to Erin Mackey as "Glinda." She took the role originated by Kristin Chenoweth and spun her own brand of sparkly sugar around it. She was winsome, funny, and adorable...and her lovely voice was more than up to the challenge.

If you don't know, "Wicked" is a prequel to "The Wizard of Oz," and it's fascinating to see the story unfold and to find yourself rooting for Elphaba--a character Playbill calls "the green-faced, misunderstood, not-so-wicked witch."

I've seen "Mamma Mia," "Phantom of the Opera" and "Les Miserables" in Chicago--and I've also seen "Phantom of the Opera" on Broadway. "Wicked" now ranks right up there with my favorite theater experiences.

After the play, we had dinner at Tucci Benucch, then did a little shopping before heading home. All in all, it was a wonderful day that we'll think of fondly for years to come.

5 comments:

2nd Cup of Coffee said...

I have a close circle of women friends who love to go to shows in Chicago. For months and months, all I heard about was "Wicked." Their teenaged daughters were ga-ga over it, too. It must really be fascinating. The descriptions, though, always leave me scratching my head as to why people love it so much. Guess I'll never know until I see/hear it.

Angela said...

I got the soundtrack a few weeks ago and have been enjoying it even thought I haven't pieced the story together yet. I'll catch the play one of these days . . . either in Tampa or in New York. I'm determined!

Thanks for the review, Cindy! And congratulations on the birth of your book club! I started one in my neighborhood about four or five years ago, and we're still going strong. Good friends, good food, good books--what more could a woman want?

Well, a good man, I suppose . . . :-)

Angie

Anonymous said...

My daughter saw Wicked in Toronto three years ago. She loved, loved, loved it. I really enjoy the music, especially Defying Gravity.

I bought the book that year for some vacation reading - not one I'd recommend for teens, though. It was a little more intensely sexual than the musical, from what I understand.

Hoping to see it in Chicago. My boss had offered up matinee tickets last fall for Detroit, but I had to decline them because I couldn't get back in time for an evening commitment.

Julee Ann said...

LNM (Lurker No More) Been enjoying your blog for quite awhile now. Decided to introduce myself. I took my daughter to Chicago to see Wicked in place of her senior party/trip. I'm itching to see Color Purple or Jersey Boys next. Nice to meet ya.

Anonymous said...

I am going in a few weeks and am beyond excited!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails