Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Why am I blogging about Victoria Jackson????

Not as often as I should, I check out this terrific website, thunderstruck.org (bear with me, I'm getting to Victoria Jackson in a moment.)

If you haven't checked out Thunderstruck, you need to--especially if you're a Christian who blogs or is involved in the media in any way. I think of it as a kind of Drudge Report from a Christian worldview. It's a one-stop shop with a wealth of links to articles about things relating to Christianity or just of interest to Christians. It's all put together by a man named Steve Beard.

Anyhoo, I was looking at Thunderstruck today and decided to check out Steve's surf page, which lists what I assume are the sources of his linked stories. One of the links, in the "Coolies" category, is former Saturday Night Live cast member Victoria Jackson.

Now, Victoria was fresh on my mind because I had caught the tail end of VH-1's Celebrity Fit Club last night (my son graciously allowed me to do so during commercial breaks of the Cubs game.:))

Yep, Victoria Jackson is a cast member of Celebrity Fit Club II. I had watched a few episodes of the show last season, with the fascinated-yet-appalled spirit one holds for viewing a train wreck.

I'm always trying to lose weight myself, so the sight of these celebrities humbling themselves with the unflattering "before" shots and exposing their weight stats for the world to see, was interesting to me. Anyone who has been to a Weight Watchers meeting can't help but identify with the anticipatory dread of getting on that scale (although thankfully, at a WW meeting your results aren't broadcast to the room, much less a television audience.)

As I said, I haven't viewed an entire episode this season. My son tells me Gary Busey, who claims to be a Christian, has behaved somewhat erratically on the show. All I know is, he's downright scary-looking, even when he's smiling. Maybe especially when he's smiling.

And Willie Aames, AKA Bibleman, was almost unrecognizable from the character he played on "Charles in Charge."

So, I followed the link to Victoria's website. I had heard that she's a Christian too, and this quote on her site confirms it:

"Well, I'd feel like we didn't really connect if I didn't tell you about what I really feel is important. I am a genuine true blue believer...not in Kaballah...not in Scientology...not in the New Age movement...not in Mormonism...not in Buddism...not in Hinduism...not in Catholicism...not in Protestantism...but in Jesus Christ. I've studied all those other religions...and as a cynic, and a free spirit...I personally decided to put my faith in Jesus. I've read the Bible all the way through....and I believe it is the Truth...the Word of God. Read John 3:l6, Ephesians 2:8,9, Romans 3:23, and Romans 6:23 and tell me what you think. What do you think? Jesus claimed to be 'the Lord'...He was either the 'Lord', a liar, or a lunatic. Tell me what you think and why. After all, none of us has died and come back to tell....so we all have our faith in something. What is your faith in? I'm eager to listen and discuss."

Way to go, Victoria! I always thought she was one of the funniest people on SNL during her stint there (I don't watch the show now, BTW). She doesn't really look very overweight to me, but I'll be watching her progress.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails