Friday, July 22, 2005

So much to blog about, so little time...

IT'S FRIDAY!!!



Oh, you're wondering what the pic of Gerard Butler is all about? No real reason...but while we're on the subject, if you've seen both The Phantom of the Opera play and the movie, which did you like best, and why? My husband much preferred the play, and really didn't care for the movie at all. There are things I like about both.

By the way, you can read here about my experience seeing the play in Chicago.

Now on to more stuff...

~The events in London continue to disturb, especially since it prompts the question: when will it happen here again? La Shawn Barber thinks it's only a matter of time...and she speculates about what NYC's random backpack searches will be like:
"They know exactly the type of person to search: young, male, and Arab-looking. But they’ll stop you, white American man minding your own business, and you, black woman visiting from Arkansas.

"I guess random 5-year-old girls need to make sure those pink Barbie backpacks are free of contraband. And 80-year-old Granny had better give it up, or she’ll be in a world of hurt."

~Do you have a reluctant reader in your family? Yesterday I interviewed Max Elliot Anderson about his books specifically aimed at kids who he calls "reluctant readers." Max himself is a reluctant reader, so he knows whereof he speaks.



Among the devices he uses to capture and keep his readers: bright white pages, short paragraphs, very little description, lots of action and dialogue. Anderson has gotten a lot of good feedback from parents who had despaired of getting their kids to read.

Anderson's books are being compared to everything from the Hardy Boys to Tom Sawyer to Jack London.

~I myself am a more-than-willing reader, and I've been devouring books in record times lately. For instance, I read Maeve Binchy's Nights of Rain and Stars almost in one sitting the other night. A friend had left James Patterson's Lake House in our guest room, so I gobbled that one up as well. Fascinating but disturbing premise: kids who have been engineered to be part bird, part human.

~I interviewed Julie Anne Fidler last week about her Adventures in Holy Matrimony, and was going to blog at least transcribed excerpts, but technical problems nixed that. Suffice it to say that Julie was a delightful guest, as interesting and engaging voice-to-voice as she is on her blog and in her book.



This is what I blogged earlier about Julie's book. Do buy it and give it as a gift to a bride-to-be--along with some gorgeous lingerie or needed housewares, of course!

~Southern Gospel with an Aussie accent?
Martin Roth, whose Martin Roth Christian Commentary has languished for some 18 months, is back online--but with a blog about one of his passions, Southern Gospel music.
Roth bemoans the fact that most of his favorite artists never make it to the land down under. I'm not as big an SG fan as my husband is, but I do like several artists and have gotten to see many of them in concert, including three or four Gaither Homecoming events.

He says he's not sure if his Southern Gospel Beat really qualifies as a blog, but it works for me!

~Along with drought conditions, Northern Illinois expects to experience a heat wave this weekend, with temps expected to top 100. I will no doubt spend my weekend praising God for air conditioning!

And finally...I answer the Friday Feast:


Appetizer
What kind of car do you drive? If you could make an even trade for any other car, what would you want to drive?--I drive a Cutlass--I'm not even sure of the model year!--but if I had my druthers, I'd drive a PT Cruiser.



Soup
Take your phone number and add each number together separately (example: 8+6+7+5+3+0+9=38) - what's the total?--27

Salad
When were you last outside, and what were you doing?--Early this morning--leaving the house and getting in my car to go to work.

Main Course
What is your favorite restaurant, and what do you usually order there?--I have a lot of favorites, but usually I end up coming back to Chili's, where I usually order the chicken tacos. And I MUST have the chips and salsa--so it's always the struggle of trying not to eat too many of them before the real food comes!

Dessert

Name 3 things in which you occasionally indulge.--Oh, boy. A chocolate malt with extra malt from BeefARoo. A chocolate shake with whipped cream on top from Steak n Shake. A chocolate concrete from Culver's. (Do you see a pattern emerging here?)

Now, I hope everyone will go out and have a blessed and wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails