Monday, April 25, 2005

Les Miserables was OUTSTANDING!!!



OK, I thought no one could touch Colm Wilkinson in the role of Jean Valjean. But Randal Keith BLEW ME AWAY!!!

His voice is absolutely exquisite--silky soft and achingly sweet one second, soaring and powerful the next, beautifully conveying a world of emotion and feeling in every note.

I honestly can't think of enough superlatives for the performance of
Les Miserables that I saw at the Cadillac Palace Theater in Chicago this past Friday night.

I had wondered how the cast would stack up to the singers I had grown accustomed to from watching the 10th Anniversary DVD, which we own. I need not have worried. Each of the leads more than held their own. Besides Keith, Robert Hunt in the role of Javert, Tonya Dixon as Fantine, Melissa Lyons as Eponine (I must confess that Lea Salonga is my favorite in the role, but Lyons did fine), Adam Jacobs as Marius, David Benoit as Thenardier--all were superb.

My daughter and I can't stop talking about it. We are now more confirmed Les Miz freaks than ever.

This was Elizabeth's first major stage musical, and she was absolutely enthralled. Like me, she was completely familiar with the music, and wondered how this cast would measure up. There was no need for worry.

If you ever get a chance to check out a touring production of Les Miserables, I encourage you to do so!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails