Friday, April 22, 2005

Going to Les Miserables tonight!



I am thrilled to say that, Lord willing and if the creek don't rise, I'll be at the Cadillac Palace Theater in Chicago tonight watching Les Miserables!

The tickets are a birthday gift from a dear friend (yes, my birthday was in December), and we're finally getting around to going. My husband, my daughter, our friend and her daughter are going.


The Cadillac Palace Theater in Chicago

I know the production mainly through the DVD of the 10th anniversary concert of Les Miserables. It will be interesting to see how the actors/singers in this touring production will stack up to Lea Salonga (Eponine), Colm Wilkinson (Jean Valjean) and Philip Quast (Javert.)

A year ago, we saw Phantom of the Opera in Chicago, and the leads turned in excellent performances and made me a fan of a play that I had never seen and wasn't very familiar with.

I absolutely LOVE the music in Les Miserables. I also appreciate the Christian world-view that permeates the play. Grace/mercy versus legalism/justice--it's a pretty classic theme. I love the character of Jean Valjean--he epitomizes a redeemed soul. I think Valjean's lyrics in "What Have I Done?" are a picture of salvation:

"I am reaching, but I fall
And the night is closing in
And I stare into the void
To the whirlpool of my sin
I'll escape now from the world
From the world of Jean Valjean
Jean Valjean is nothing now
Another story must begin!"


My favorite songs in Les Miz are "One Day More," "On My Own," "A Little Fall of Rain," "Javert's Suicide" and the finale.

I'm also thrilled because I have beloved family members coming to visit me tomorrow. My mom and my two sisters will be here for a week! YAY!!!

Hope everyone has a blessed weekend!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails