Tuesday, February 08, 2005

That Michael W. Smith endures!



From the time Michael W. Smith burst onto the Christian music scene with his Project in 1983, I knew he was special. I don't think I would have predicted that 22 years down the road, he would be the enduring Christian music icon that he is today.

With 40 Dove awards, two Grammys and an American Music Award already in his possession, Smith now leads this year's Dove Awards nominations with eight, including artist and song of the year for "Healing Rain."

Smith told Associated Press that he's "surprised and grateful to receive so many Dove nominations, especially with the emergence
of many new acts in recent years."

I've heard a few radio insiders grumble that long-time established award winners like Smith and Steven Curtis Chapman
should move out of the way and let the newer, younger acts have the awards spotlight.

Of course, there are those who decry awards shows for Christian music anyway--that's a whole 'nother subject in itself.


Me and Michael W. at GMA, 2002

Whatever. I think Smitty and SCC endure because they have enormous musical talent and real, genuine hearts for God. I've had the privilege of meeting and interviewing both of them more than once, and what you see is what you get. These guys are real.

No, Smitty doesn't have the most awesome voice in music. He's no Andrea Bocelli or Josh Groban. What he DOES have is the ability to craft a beautiful and enduring song, and I believe some of his creations will grace hymnbooks for years after all of us are gone.

What's your favorite Michael W. Smith song or album? Let me know in my comments section.

Oh, and that reminds me...

I'm going to Nashville!



As I did last year, I'm hosting a tour to Nashville April 12-15, with the highlight being the Gospel Music Association Music Awards (commonly known as the Doves.)

We take a nice coach down to Music City USA, and enjoy a few nights' stay at a nice hotel and tours of places like the Ryman Auditorium and the Country Music Hall of Fame, plus seeing our own 101QFL DJ's broadcasting live from the Gospel Music Associaiton Convention at the Renaissance Hotel.

It's a blast, and you can go too for 429.00 (based on double occupancy.) We leave from Rockford on Tuesday morning, April 12th.

I am SO looking forward to this!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails