Friday, November 07, 2003

Sweet! It's the weekend, and I have new fiction to read!

When I arrived at work this morning, there was a package from Moody Press waiting for me. It contained Books One and Two of "Valkyries," a series written by Jeri Massi. I've heard a lot of great things about these books, and I can't wait to sink my teeth into them! How providential that they arrived just as the weekend gets underway. Friday night is really the only night of the week I can stay up late without worrying about having to get up early the next morning.

I don't know what, if any plans we have for this weekend. Well, church on Sunday of course, but other than that I don't know. Justin is going tomorrow night to see Jerry Seinfeld live at the Coronado Theater. That should be pretty cool. Jerry Seinfeld is pretty hilarious. It's cool how he can glean humor from everyday situations and observations.

Here's a sample:

"The Swiss have an interesting army. Five hundred years without a war. Pretty impressive. Also pretty lucky for them. Ever see that little Swiss Army knife they have to fight with? Not much of a weapon there. Corkscrews, Bottle openers. 'Come on, buddy, let's go. You get past me, the guy in back of me, he's got a spoon. Back off. I've got the toe clippers right here.' "--Jerry Seinfeld

********

Speaking of the Coronado...

The Coronado Theater is one of the most beautiful theaters I've ever seen. You can take a virtual tour of the theater if you like. Not too long ago, the historic theater underwent a massive renovation project. Great care was taken to preserve the history of the theater, while taking care of much-needed improvements, and it's more gorgeous than ever. This theater's history harks back to the days of the silent movies...it truly is something our city can be proud of.

**********

A funny thing happened on the way to work...

Earlier this week, I dragged myself out of bed one morning feeling particularly tired. Truth to tell, I never hop out of bed excitedly at four a.m.--but that morning, I seemed even more weary than usual and less ready to face the day.

But I slogged up, (is that a word? :), got ready and headed off to work. Glancing at my car radio, I noticed that the digital time display read "3:50." Huh??? Justin often drives my car, and I wondered if he had turned the clocks back again for the end of Daylight Savings Time, maybe not knowing it had already been changed.

I don't see any bank clocks or anything like that on the way to work, and I wasn't wearing my own watch because its battery was dead...so I had to wait till I got to work that I found out that, indeed, I was at work a whole hour early!

Well, I got a lot accomplished at that early hour, although I was especially sleepy that day.

But here's the funny thing. I got a call from my sister-in-law Gail that night. She had heard me talking about it on the radio, and she had done THE VERY SAME THING THE VERY SAME DAY! The only difference was, she realized it in time to head back home instead of showing up at work. I can't believe the same thing happened to us on the same day. What are the odds? :)

In may case, I had inadvertently made my clock radio be one hour later than it should have been...apparently my hand slipped while I was setting the alarm, or something.

********

Wishing I was there....


My sister Beverly is visiting my folks in Texas right now. I so wish I was there. I'm experiencing a bout of homesickness, not to mention missing Jonathan, who I haven't seen since July. He and Daylyn are coming in early December.

I love being with my sisters, too. They are so much fun and so wonderful...beautiful women with great personalities and senses of humor. I miss them a lot.

And I want to be spending as much time as possible with my Dad, as he doesn't have much time left with us.

People who have all their family nearby are so blessed.

Wow, I'm starting to feel a pity party coming on. Need to remind myself that I am also blessed in a host of ways. Thank you, God, for your goodness.

"This I recall to my mind, therefore have I hope. It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not. They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness. The LORD is my portion, saith my soul; therefore will I hope in him..." (Lamentations 3:21-26)

I love that verse!






No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails